Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noise when 4WD engaged

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1985K20, May 29, 2005.

1. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

Just went to try the 4WD on my truck this morning on the beach, and now i can hear a grinding kinda noise when heavy load applied to front drivetrain.

If i drive normal,it wont happen or almost never but when i gave her 3/4- full throttle in 4LO it will make that scary grindind noise coming from front end :frown1:

In 4HI it's little better t'ill i floor it. Must be cause more torque gettin there in 4LO...

Here's the front end known condition: new ball joints, new u-joints(hub ones),
    little bit of slack between yoke and u-joint, and for the rest I donno; never got the front cover off yet.

So if any of you guys ever went thru somethin similar: could ya give me an idea what to look at or to fix???

2. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Other Things

Check your motor and body mounts
    I had bad body mounts that let the fan eat my shroud , which then rubbed a hole in the rad core :mad:
    Just something to look at other than the drive train :grin:

BTW it only happened while off road and I twisted the truck out of shape , good luck.

3. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

:doah: I just remember i seen loose cross member(t. case) bolts last time i was under the truck...This could be my problem would not it???

4. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

check the front driveline u-joints and also the c/v joint up by the transfer case, my buddy was up wheelin with us last weekend with a bad c/v, it was enough to make u cringe when he got on it. it did finally blow apart.

5. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

Ok I think i might have found the problem this time...I got mad tonite and i start taking parts off my front end :mad:

I got front driveshaft off, inspected it + u-joints and c/v: Everything looks allright; front u-joint's fair, split shaft union's splines look good, and c/v joint looks good also :confused:

So i kept inspecting t.case: I need a yoke seal(front)+ front diff. yoke seal also :frown1: I checked t.case bolts to tranny: nice and tight.(Big blocks like to loosen them)

I was still with no answer :frown1: So i grabbed my t. case tailshaft with both hands and reefed on it and guess wha?? I lifted the whole drivetrain from a good 3 to 4 inches :eek: The diagnostic: worn out t.case mount+ broken bolt(mount) :D :D :D

6. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

Yep 99% sure that the grinding/rubbing noise was caused by broken t.case mount.

Put new mount on and i cant hear that noise no more.

I think when heavy torque was created by motor,the left side of drivetrain was goin up, allowing c/v joint to rub on cross member...or something like that :)