Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. ducati-cooter

ducati-cooter Registered Member

I have a 90 k5 350/700-r4 10bolt front and rear open both, and running crappy 31 in tires. At least once or twice a day while driving I here and feel this growl like I am running over a rumble strip but I am no were near one. PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Tuff84blaze

Tuff84blaze 1/2 ton status

Mine does this too, but only when I let off the gas at any speed above 45mph. It is something to do with the slip yoke and my lift. I've put 10,000 miles on it this way and just live with it because i don't have money for a slip yoke eliminater kit. I just apply the brake before letting off the gas and the growl goes away.

3. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

Mine dose it when i let of the gas too but only above 50mph. I get alot of vibrations and grinding in my feet and seats and i can hear grinding sound too. it goes away when i apply the brake too. weird i wonder what it is

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Is yours lifted at all? Mine does the same thing when I let off the gas over about 25mph. I just have to power brake it to a stop. I have a shackle flip and 1 1/2'' blocks on the rear with the stock drive shaft. To fix the problem on most lifted K5's you dont necesarily have to get a slip yoke eliminator, most of the time a c/v rear shaft will do the trick.

5. ducati-cooter

ducati-cooter Registered Member

i don't have any lift the only thing not stock is the tires

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

IMO you need to have your transmission checked. I had an identical situation in a Suburban once and it turned out to be the torque converter.

7. Mr. Jimmy

Mr. Jimmy Registered Member

I also have an 89 Jimmy with a 6 inch lift that does the same thing above 50 mph. Has anyone tried a rear CV shaft without the Slip yoke eliminator and had good results? Where is a good place for purchasing these?

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

How are your u joints?