Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NOISE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DMK, Jul 18, 2000.

1. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Have noise coming from the rear end I think. Noise only happens when rear tires slip. It is a ratcheting noise, only last for a few seconds. Truck is an 87 k-5 with limited slip rear end has 35,000 on it. Fluid has not been changed yet. Could this be the cause? Thanks for any help.
    What would cause this?

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I don't know the cause but you should change the fluid every 10K or so.

90K5

3. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    Check all your suspension hardware (u-bolts, shocks, shackles etc...) you may just have some loose nuts and/or bolts back there. If that all checks out you should probably pull the rear diff cover and see "wuz up"? in there. Incidentally where as it may be stated in a shop manual somewhere to change your diff fluid every 10K?, I really don't know of anyone who does that. If you go through alot of Mud and Water you should change it shortly after, but otherwise I would think every 30K should be OK. My dad had several company trucks with well over 100K on them and none of them ever had the diff fluid changed.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I think I saw somewhere where you are supposed to change it that often if you go through mud a lot but I dont change mine that much either

90K5

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

6. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

change the fluid, and put new GM additive for the limited slip if thats what it is.......my 2 cents, hope it helps