Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noise??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by firefighter, Jun 13, 2002.

1. firefighter

firefighter Newbie

We have a 1990 GMC Suburban with 4 wheel dive. Right now, we have our road tires on it. Lately i have noticed a noise when the engine is lugged a little bit in over drive. the noise sounds kind of like a train, while standing by the tracks. (sory, but thats the best way i can describe it) The tires were balanced when they were put on the wheels, which was just last year. I believe that the noise is coming from the bearings at the front wheels. Anybody got an idea of what it could be?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It sounds to me like your engine is pinging. Does the sound seem to happen at half-throttle when the engine is under moderate load(like going uphill)? If this is what's wrong, timing is the issue.

Another possibility is a u-joint starting to either let go or seize up. One thing to remember is that sounds coming from under your rig can be very decieving - what sounds like a front end problem can actually be coming from farther back on the drivetrain.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

dang, not a clue i'm sure my 89 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban has made that noise before but i don't remember it. sorry /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

One other hint, brother. Put your location on your profile. One of us might live a block away from you.....

Welcome to CK5!!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

If it's a low growling noise then it's the bearings. You probably hear it most when you're in OD because your rpms are lower so the engine doesn't drown out the noise. Jack up the wheels and check to see if you have any play in the wheels.

6. firefighter

firefighter Newbie

Thank you, glad to join! I am most inclined to believe it is the bearings, and not the engine pinging. It should be making a trip to firestone at the first of next week. We pull a 30 FT camper with it, and if it was pinging, it should show up when pulling that load.