Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noises in 4WD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kidd5666, Jan 15, 2004.

1. kidd5666

kidd5666 Registered Member

I have an 84 K-5, which makes a very strange,(and likely bad), sound when in 4WD. It is slightly rythmic, and sounds like a droning rubbing, but comes and goes. In my owners manual it says that if one hub is not fully engaged, it will make this sound. Recently I replaced my rotor on the drivers side, and could not get all of the play out of the wheel, when I repacked the bearings on the auto hubs. I tried three times but it just had extra play no matter what. I never really put it into 4WD until this happened so I dont know if it happened before.
    Also my truck pulls, when braking, to the left. I almost lose control everytime I brake hard. I thought it was my scarred rotor, but it still does this, could all of this be do to the hub bearings being not tight enough?

2. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

When you say there is play, do mean that is play in the steering wheel or play in the rotor.

The brake pull can be caused by:

1. Stuck Brake Caliper (make sure the main piston moves and the sliders move easly)

2. Clogged Brake Line (I had a mean pull until I replaced the brake lines)

3. Damaged or worn pads/rotors

3. kidd5666

Not the steering wheel, its the actuall rotor. When I jacked it up, I could push the top of the tire in and pull the bottom out a bit. Which is the main piston??????? Its not the pads/rotors, theyre all brand new.

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You will always get a bit of play in wheel bearings as they are taper rollers and need a certain amount of play...but not more than a bit of shake!. get a friend to push and pull the wheel while you look from behind it. You need to check if it's wheel bearing play or if it's the steering knuckle moving. If it's the whole knuckle moving you need to replace the top and bottom bearings. This would cause 'pulling' and bad tire wear. If it's wheel bearing play then adjust them as per your manual. They're easy to do so if it doesn't work out then there is an issue with the bearings themselves and you'll have to strip and inspect them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you need to replace the top and bottom bearings

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean balljoints?

6. kidd5666

What is the knuckle?????? I dont know a whole heck of a lot about suspensions. Also how much do you figure new bearings would be.

Oh also, it pulls even worse in 4WD, but the pull is unpredictable. It will pull one way, then the other. Its really weird. It only does that sometimes though and it could have been magnified by the snow and ice.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

please fill out ur profile, it helps us help you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

the knuckle is what the spindle and bearings and roter/wheel and all that are on. the knuckle is held on to the axle housing with an upper and lower ball joint. the knuckle is what turns, when you turn the wheel, and they are tied together by the tie road bar. new bearings im guessing would be around 40 bucks or so for the bearings and races per side.

8. southernspeed

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    you need to replace the top and bottom bearings

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean balljoints?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Bearings...balljoints...cut me some slack I'm a Limey!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I should have got the name right as I've just had the pleasure (NOT) of doing both sides on my '78 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and now it looks like my '91 is going to need it too! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. kidd5666

So there are bearings inside that knuckle? Also what are the signs of bearings which need replacing? Ive taken those stupid hubs apart at least 10 times, so I know em inside and out. I just dont really know what to look for...

10. southernspeed

If you hold the wheel top and bottom and push/pull with some force you can feel movement. If it's your wheel bearings then the steering knuckle will remain still. But if it's the ball joints the whole knuckle will be moving slightly. Look closely at the joint while your buddy rocks the wheel up and down and you'll be able to see movement between the joints. That would mean the ball joints need changing. No movement there would suggest you've still got a problem with the wheel bearings. But like I said earlier, you must have a slight movement in the wheel bearings as they are taper rollers and they need that clearance, but is only a 'shake' /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif