Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

noises in my t-case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nmud2deep, Sep 21, 2005.

1. nmud2deep

nmud2deep Registered Member

i have funny ticking noise when i put it in 4 wheel drive i checkedmy xmember to make sure it wasnt drive shafts hitting from bending it back rock crawling i am not sure on what t-case i have it was factory before the motor swap and 14ff rear and 60d front. it came in 1986 with a 305, 700r4, and 10 bolts at each end...any idea on the problem and what t-case i have

2. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Your t-case is most likely an NP 208. There should be a little round tab on the case that informs you as to which model. How many miles originally? By ticking, do you mean a light ticking like a chain tick or metal hitting metal? There are several moving parts that could cause the ticking. Sounds in the front diff may also transfer throught the drive train and make you think it's coming from the transfer case. Have you checked your u-joints? Fluid level? Pinion yolk loose? Front output shaft on t-case loose? Bolts on output flange loose? I'm sure others on the board will have some more input.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Look closely at your CV yoke up front . I had some noise on a certain flexy trail , and my cv was rubbing on the crosmember , on droop , just not where you could see it . It was on the crossmember under the CV . Ground it off and no more noise .

4. nmud2deep

ill check what kind it is but i know it isnt the axles or cv because it was acting like this before i put the 1 tons under it....it might be the chains in the t-case.....what are your ideas on what is going on? about what do they run to fix and used.....what is my choice of upgrades that will be a direct bolt up? here is my truck http://streetsource.com/viewownerprofile.aspx?profileid=14832 oh and i think the truck has about 180,000 on the t-case because it is the only part of the drive line not replaced

5. nmud2deep

also when engaging and disengaging the 4 wheel drive the shifter wont go into 4 wheel low and it wont even stay in 4 wheel high unless you hold it...it will just pop back into 2wheel high

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Transfercase then . You can check the linkage , but not much to go wrong with a np208 linkage , its like a rod from lever to lever .

Mine went bad , simmialr to that with the shifting , was the range fork in the case , pads wore , then the fork wore to a knifededge .

7. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

if you want direct bolt in replacement, you want another 208 or a 89 241

8. nmud2deep

i dont know much about t-cases but if i do have a 208 what is it in the quailty level compared to other gm put in there trucks? i was also wondering about how much you can get a good used t-case from a salvage yard...

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

My T-case did that when I bent my crossmember. The T case shifted up and it misaligned the linkage and also caused the front CV to rub on the crossmember and sounded like it was crushing rocks inside my case. I put a new crossmember on and straightened the frame out as well as replaced the tcase mount and no more noise.

Ira

10. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

your best bet would be to find one on here they usally go for pretty cheap (150-300)???

11. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

180,000 miles is quite a bit. As for the shifter popping out of gear the most common cause is a body lift. If you don't have a body lift it may be time for a rebuild. If it is time for a rebuild, do it before your t-case gives out completely. The 208 is known for catastrophic failure, meaning when it gives out the aluminum case could break rendering it useless. Rebuild while it's still in one piece! You don't know what you're getting with a used case. My recommendation is rebuild if needed.