Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

noisy gear drive?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Aug 12, 2006.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i have a new noisy gear drive i just got in a trade, what are your experiences with them? hard to install? annoying? any pros or cons? thanks

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

The installation on my set didn't present any problems, but follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. If you don't have those instructions, then get them.

As far as the noise goes, I'm a crazy old gearhead from way back, and I could (and do) listen to straight-cut (aka "noisy") gear drive whine all the time. It's beautiful music, along with a choppy exhaust and that open-element air cleaner intake roaring. I don't even have a stereo installed, and it's not for lack of cash; I like to hear what I drive.

That being said, if a person has any doubts about whether or not they'd get tired of a whining gear drive - then they probably would get tired of it fairly quick. If you're not absolutely sure you want to hear it singing to you (and all your passengers) every second that the engine runs, then trade it off to somebody else. You don't want to take the time to install the GD, then turn around and swap it for a quiet chain a few months down the road, because you got sick of the WHHIIRRRRRRRrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRing.

3. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

We wanted to put one on our 289 race motor, but the shop said they couldn't get the engine to balance well enough for them to give our engine back with it installed. So we had to settle for a chain...so you may or may not have harmonics problems. I don't know how common a problem like this is.

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

That reminds me, knock sensors generally do not coexist peacefully with gear drives (and that goes double for straight-cut gear drives), and that's significant to anyone who has those sensors on their engine.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I love my pete jackson that I installed in my burb :D

6. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Gotta love the geardrive,I never get tired of it.

7. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

My Blazer came with one in it. Cruising it's not too bad, but it gets annoying sometimes. It doesn't bother me enough to warrant tearing the front of the motor apart though. I seem to get a lot of looks because of it, like people think something's wrong with your junk. :dunno: :haha:

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had one on a old truck I had I liked it at first then felt like a posuer after some poeple asked me how I got a supercharger to fit under the hood

9. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I thought about it but I hunt with my truck and don't want everything I'm trying to mow down to know that I'm coming more than they already can. But I love the sound of em. X2 though on people thinking your stuff is broke, I got a buddy with a 72 chevelle and people are always asking if his power steering pump is going out.

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

11. Jackedup86GMC

Jackedup86GMC Registered Member

That's a bad burb you got their, don't see too many of them like that anymore. Cool vid also.

12. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

alright i want one. i also gotta get a louder exhaust. Damit i thought this flowmaster was louder than it realy is :(