Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noisy lifter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Whii338, May 13, 2000.

1. Whii338

Whii338 Registered Member

Anybody got any ideas on how to quiet noisy lifer?Already tried some engine flush then changed the oil..stayed quiet about 30 min. then started rightback up...its a 88'k5 350FI with 164,000(i guess i should be happy its just a lifter!)

2. Black89k5

Black89k5 Registered Member

Are u sure it's a lifter??? Cause mine did the same thing and i tightened down the rockers and it was fine.

3. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Put a can of Marvel Mystery Oil in your oil, and those engine flush products are usually more harm than good on a older engine. They loosen chunks of carbon and plug up your oil pump screen. Matt

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

4. Oil Man

Oil Man Registered Member

First like the other guy said try and see if your rocker arm is loose. Then If you try a thin oil like 5-30 and you don't see any improvement then you just have a lifter that is weak, and will have to be changed. But if by using a thin oil it gets better then you have some deposits that should be cleaned out. Let us know what you find out.

Sincerely, Kevin

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Adjusting the lifters no big deal. Why not try that and see if you find a loose one. Its explained in Haynes shop manuals and only takes a couple of hours.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

6. bart

bart Registered Member

yeah...try the rocker pivot nut...check your service manual...but the valves on the cylinder that you are tightening should be closed (spring fully extended)...spin the pushrod with your fingers and slowly tighten the rocker nut until you feel resistance against rotating the pushrod...then tighten 3/4 to 1 1/4 turns more. This might help...I had a lifter that wasn't pumping oil very well...this took care of it..
    good luck.