Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

noisy rear end

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by luk3, Jul 22, 2003.

1. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

the rear end to a truck my dad owns makes a clunk when u throw it in gear and when u stop and go as the weight moves around. its not the joints or anything i checked those, i hear that these noises are just the 280k thats on the truck. my dad thinks its not drivable but i want to drive the truck instead of a le sabre. if i can drive on this rear with these sounds thats fine with me, what do u guys think? if they rear is safe, how could i show my dad thats its ok drive on and its just move and give in the rear end?
    ty for ur help . oh yeah its a 89 1/2ton chevy 2wd 350 efi

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

When you check the u-joints you need to put the transmission in nuetral and set the parking brake. Then check the rear driveline by hand and see where the extra movement is.

Driving it now will leave you stranded if something failed and possibly make things more expensive to repair than fixing it NOW. Take the time to find the problem and fix it (plenty of guys on here selling their old 10/12 bolts cheap too).

3. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

well i did check it its not the joints, im nto worried about being stranded it would only be local truck for work ect, well i dont wanna dump 3-500 bucks into a rear axle for a truck that has 280k on it, spec if the rear end could last alot longer if not the life of the truck.

4. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

the 350 also has the miles on it, no work done to it just tune up and oil changes, shows if u take care of ur truck it will run forever. the engine is the reason we keep the truck and it sits in my drive

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I would go ahead and replace the ujoints anyway, they're cheap insurance. Also check the ubolt tightness(front and rear). Check the trans mounts as well... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I've been driving my Blazer with the worst driveline slack known to man for almost 2 years now with no problems. Go for it.

7. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

ok thanks guys, just gota convince my dad on this to let me run it till it dies