Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noisy/Sticking Lifter?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schwinnd, Jun 27, 2002.

1. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

Hey Y'all
    I have a '76 blazer w/ stock 350 and it sounds like I've got a lifter that's sticking at low rpm's. Can you just replace that one lifter? Is it any indication of a cam lobe wearing down? I put new heads on the motor back in January and it has ran fine up until 2 weeks ago when this started. TIA.

Dave

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

DANG, if it is stock, Most likely you have lobe wear.

Since you will have to remove the intake to get to the lifters, I would go ahead and change the cam too.

Of course the Chevy motors are so cheap and easy to build you might as well do the rings, now that you are doing the rings, you might as well finish it off and do the bearings!

That's what happened to me... I needed a valve job, got it done, and it SUCKED PRACTICALLY all the oil through the rings (it seemed like it anyway). THE RING job Prompted a 383!!! HA HA HA HA

Have fun!

3. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

Sorry I should clarify by saying the bottom end only has about 25K miles on it. It was a backyard rebuild w/ an rv cam and a .030 bore. It's just that the previous owner (my former boss) put the first 20K miles in about 10 years. It pretty much sat rusting away in his front yard most of the time.

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Ahhhh...

OK, well most everyone would say the cam and lifters are a set, and break-in as a set. I have three (or four) lazy lifters (they tick when hot) and need to replace mine too. I was thinking about replacing only these three, but to be sure, I will buy a set, and replace them all while I am in there.

I might change my cam, as I only have a .398 lift. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    GREAT torque, and gas mileage though!

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

If the lifter is not damaged from banging into the loose pushrod, you should be able to remove it, disassemble and clean it, and put it back where it came from. The old service manuals used to recommend this procedure for noisy lifters.