Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

non 4x4 fabrication question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bad_bo_ti, Nov 11, 2003.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i was wondering what is the best way to make a piano hinge. i have some steps in my pole barn i was wanting to beable to hinge up when i didnt use them, they are made out of 2x10 and are approxiamtely 6.5-7ft tall and have about 10 8in stair treads, the width of the stairs are 30 in, so the hinge would need to be 30in, what kind of thickness of metal should i use, i am also open for other hinging ideas! thanks, chris

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

My dad did something similar in his barn. He took some standard 8" - 10" door hinges and welded them to some 1/4" plate. Its been there for close to 20yrs so far. He also used lag bolts to hold it in place /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The hinges he used actually looked very similar to this:
    [​IMG]

3. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

thanks never thought of that, did he use a pulley system to lift them up with, thats the route i am going to go.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yeah, he just hung a small snatch-block from the rafters with a rope to raise and lower it. Just keeps the rope tied off to the barn pole.

His barn is 80 x 160 with 12 x 160 wings on each side(main section with a 80 x 140 loft)with an attached arena which is 80 x 120 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

6. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    His barn is 80 x 160 with 12 x 160 wings on each side(main section with a 80 x 140 loft)with an attached arena which is 80 x 120

[/ QUOTE ]
    sorry to hijack but
    God that would be a hella of a shop.

7. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Back when I had the 'Old Homestead', I had a big old Dairy Barn with a big loft. I built a ramp similar to the stairs you're talking about. I used the ramp so I could park the mower, 4-wheeler, motorcycles, etc., in the loft and leave room for more junk cars below... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I used 2x10's and bored a 2" hole in the 'loft' end. I then made supports off the side of the loft wide enough the ramp would fit between them and bored a 2" hole in them too. I used a piece of 2" pipe to run through all 4 holes and support the high end of the ramp. That way it was free to pivot on the pipe and was strong enough to support the weight of my 1967 John Deere riding mower... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Then I rigged up a pulley system similar to what's described above to lift the ramp out of the way.

That was over 15 years ago and my Step Brother lives there and still uses it as far as I know.

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Paul, a 2" pipe is actually 2.375" OD... Must have been a 1.5" pipe in your pivot (1.90" OD) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Paul, a 2" pipe is actually 2.375" OD... Must have been a 1.5" pipe in your pivot (1.90" OD) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the help, if i was planning on making my own piano/continuous hinge, how thick of metal should i use for the flat part and for the tubing? thanks, chris

11. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks for all the help, if i was planning on making my own piano/continuous hinge, how thick of metal should i use for the flat part and for the tubing? thanks, chris

[/ QUOTE ]

In the spirit of over-doing everything, I'd say a couple of things:

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif If you were to do the math, I would bet that a 3/8" or 1/2" rod would be more than strong enough to support the stairs, and therefore you could use a piece of 1/2" rod with and a pipe sized to fit over it. (Lil' help here on pipe sizes again?)

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif On the other hand, If you used a piece of 1" pipe as the center of the hinge and a larger pipe to go over it, then used 1/8" steel for the wings of the hinges, you could probably grease it on assembly and not have to worry about it again for 100 years or so.

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Or, I'd also bet that if you went to a local Farm Store and bought the biggest barn door hinges they have, they would also last a good 100 years.

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

yes i am a strong believer in overkill!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i was thinking maybe 1/4 or 3/8 plate and then a 1/2 solid rod to go into a 1 inch (1/4 wall, 1/2 i.d.) round tube, i do know there is a difference in tube and pipe, as long as i use tube then i will be alright with my figuring!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i am gonna check at a farm store for some hinges, if i fab something up maybe i will post pics for anyone else in the future!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    chris