Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Non A/C Engines Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I didn't know how to word this right but I have a 1990 350 TBI with air. I have a gear-drive-like noise under the hood that is from something belt-driven. We stethoscoped it last weekend and it seems to be the a/c compressor. It's been inop for a long time now. What I need to know is there an idler on non a/c engines or nothing at all? Can I bypass it somehow? Or can someone sell me a compressor for cheap? I think onboard air would be nifty /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. The main thing right now is I think the drag of the bad compressor pulley/bearing/whatever is affecting my mileage. I get around 8mpg on that TBI 350, that only has 78k on it. Not too good! Thanks!

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Just did this last weekend on my 89 TBI. Just unbolt the compressor after disconnecting the a/c lines and get a non a/c pulley either from a GM dealer or a a/c shop (that is where I got mine) and bolt it in place of the a/c comperssor. Took like 10 minutes to do it. I was also able to use the same engine belt aswell and I pulled the idler pulley off that was below the a/c compressor aswell.

I'm going to use the Kilbey bracket for a non a/c 350 when I do my York OBA pretty soon. Should be a real clean install with the factory a/c out of the way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Thanks! Was yours making noise? May I ask what you paid?

4. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Yeah it was making noise, but that was only part of the prolbem. I got the bracket from the local a/c & heat shop used for 24.00. They pull them off when they convert a non a/c truck too a/c. If you have any prolbems finding one for a reasonable price I could send you one from here for the same price.

5. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Hi Eric,
    Actually my husband manages a shop here in town and said finding what you got would be damn near impossible. We don't have any shops specifically for a/c. Body shops don't keep that stuff around. How much would you want to get me set up? I think it is causing more than just noise problems. I have 78k on a recently tuned up TBI 350, with the only engine mods being a KNN filter and dual exhaust. Running 33" tires. I got 10.29 mpg on the highway in 2wd this past week. Something is not right! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks,

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Is a smaller belt not an option? I run a "carbed" 350 (not sure how TBI handles a missing compressor) without factory A/C, obviously not a factory engine, no emmissions yadda yadda yadda, and it does just fine without a compressor or pulley in place of the compressor, just a smaller belt onto the accessories. 10mpg out of a TBI engine would make me cry....I easily make that in town.... I really don't see why you just couldn't run the smaller belt loop. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I did go and get a belt for a non a/c engine. It runs on a serp belt... and according to the installation diagram there would be an idler pulley in place of the a/c. I can't figure out how it would go without one, because of how it's over/above/around and through so many different spots. I'm told by my shop manager/techie husband that I can't bypass it.
    I get 8mpg in town. It's my daily driver, and the cost of gas is really making things difficult. I have to take hubby's Cavalier to work in the evenings /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I'm glad we have it, don't get me wrong, but I hate driving cars. Period. I have to get this fixed so it's not such a major issue.

8. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Let me find out for sure if they have some more (they should) and I will pm you with the info. It will be what they charge me for the part and the shipping cost to you. Should know something today or tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif