Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

non-CV front driveshaft?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Mar 12, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I am considering running a front driveshaft without a CV.
    I already have 1350 yokes for my 205 and front axle.
    I wanted to run a CV front but it simply does not exist for a yoke output like my 76 NP205 front.
    So............what is the harm in running non CV? I did some searching and the 1350 ujoint is good for 20 degrees. I haven't measured my angles yet but will soon.

What do you guys think?
    BTW, here's the chart I found the ujoint angle stuff in:
    [​IMG]

My thoughts:
    My 205/465 is 10 spline and that is the weak link for sure. However, I just don't like have a wimpy 1310 front driveshaft. SInce the 1350 CV is not an option for me because I have a front yoke and not a front flange, a normal 1350 would be good because I already have yokes for both the 205 and the 60.

-- Mike

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There are CV joints out there that don't require a flange for mounting. They bolt right to the yoke. I've got one in the garage. Check with a driveline shop for more info. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Super_S

Super_S Registered Member

I don't run a CV on my front. It is because I am running 12"s of lift and there isn't a CV that will handle the angle my truck has (damn 205/th350 combo). I run a 1310 at the axle and a 3R at the case (for now, until I upgrade it to 32 spline). It may vibrate a little at high speeds so try to stay off the highway in 2wd high.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

OK, so I'm reading closer and see that you want to go with a 1350 CV. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The one I've got is an old stocker.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Get the output and flange from a Ford or Dodge 205. Many are 32 spline and accept the heavier CVs. I'm told to look specifically for divorce mounted cases too. I'm currently looking for the same.

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I had one in my Jimmy for a while but it would rub on my Xmember so I took it out. It is HEAVY duty and sitting in the corner of my garage.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

sent you a PM