Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Non electric t-case in a 90 K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, May 31, 2005.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I pulled the 700/241 from my 90 K5 and I'm replacing with a 400/208 setup for now. The 241 had elctric speedo & the 208 doesn't.

How do I get around this?

Will running with no speedo be a problem for the elctronic sh!t?

Looking for a simple & cheap fix as the 208 comes out this winter for the 203/205 double setup. Thanks.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, worst thing it will affect is idle, resulting in possible stalling problems, but VSS is also tied into EGR, EVAP, and AIR.

From what I know, the best/easiest option would be to get an '82-89 truck cluster, and run that. Setup for the optical VSS, and you could just tie that "output" into the ECM feed from your (current) DRAC.

However, that adds a speedometer cable, unless you plan on using that setup after the doubler install.

You will probably not have much problem with the VSS not being there, but the chance is there. If you plan on driving it alot or wheeling in a way where coming off the throttle idle consistency is important, I'd say it's a big deal to run. If it's just going to be on the street/"easy" wheeling for the summer, I'd say forget about it.

What will you do for VSS once the doubler goes in?

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I guess I'll need a fix that I could use later. If I get an older cluster set, will I need to change anything else?

4. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

you want to sell the 241?

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

More than likely, I'll be selling it. It seems good & tight. Not sure yet. I might switch the output shaft and put it behind my TH400. Not sure how much work that would be. At least that way I wouldn't nhave the problem with the speedo.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Switching the 241 to work with the TH400 will still be temporary, right?

Too much hassle for a temporary fix IMO.

Now, finding a '90-91 205 would solve your problem, except when the doubler wasn't 1:1, if I understand that setup right. (tranny->t-case->203 range box?)