Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Non existant steering column brace/bracket

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mastercraftkpk, Apr 13, 2003.

1. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

I just pulled the body lift off of the 72 that I very recently acquired and the steering column wanders all over the place.

It looks as though the nucklehead who put on the body lift tossed out the bracket that mounts onto the inside of the firewall that secures the column.

Does anyone have any ideas re: replacement.

I have already searched all of the junkyards around here. Finding any pre-73 GMC trucks is next to impossible.

Does anyone have a source for aftermarket? I have already looked through the LMC, Chevyduty, and Brother's catalogs.

Maybe I'll have to fabricate?

Thanks

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

pm me as i might be able to help ya but a pic would help a lot
    Randy

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i dont know where you could get one but it looks pretty simple to make one.all it is is a flat plate with 2 bolt holes that bolt to the fire wall.then there is a 90 degree bend where the bracket hits the steering collum and is held in place with a clamp similer to a exhaust clamp.all of the trucks around here are crushed if they are older than '80 so not much left out here to get a oem piece.there is a yard out in jersey that i found that still has a few 65 to 72 trucks but are mostly picked clean already.if you need a pic of what it looks like let me know.

4. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I'd ask over on 67-72chevytrucks.com. I'm sure it is the same bracket in the trucks. There are several used part vendors over there too.

5. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone. I actually pulled a similar part off of a 70 Ford pickup today it looks like it will work with a little trimming.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif