Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Non factory tach, to factory tach?!?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Feb 10, 2006.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

OK guys I have a '78 stepside. Im starting to fix it up now. It has the non factory tach now. I dont want auto meters for this truck, I dont think they look good like in ym '72, so I want to keep the stoock guages, but I want to put in the factory tach setup. SO, how do I hook up the factory tach? Its got a curcuit board and all, so how would that work out? I do have the wiring schematics if I need, but I thought id just ask you all, figuring some of you may have done it already.

Thanks, Greg

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The tach itself is easy because it has a stand alone harness. When I added one to my '80 I pulled the fuel gauge wires out of the cluster plug and extended them to connect directly to the back of the gauge (bypassing the circuit board). This set up work like a champ for years. :thumb:

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Yep, tach part is easy, there's three male push on connectors on the back of it, 12v,ground and signal from coil.

Ken

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Its getting the little gas gauge to work that is the fun part.

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your help guys. I talked to slider, who I am buying it form and he has the harness and all, well see how it goes.