Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

non-important questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stiches, Nov 26, 2005.

1. stiches

stiches Registered Member

Hey people

I was reading a jegs or a summit catalog and saw a double steering stablizer...does anyone have this and if so does it take away the play in the steering?

I this is kinda important but not very

when i start up my truck...a belt squeals really low untill i give it gas then its loud...my alt belt it tight and the powersteering is kinda tight not loose but not tight...i recently changed out alts and belts...it does the squeal untill i hit a rather big bump then it stops any ideas? cause i don't want cops lookin my way...

whos brake pads are the best? like kragens...autozone...pepboys...i've read the thread bout the oil filter now i need to know about the pads...please

i thank you in advance...

Ryan

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Don't waste Your money on dual stablizers, a single one is plenty. Also it will not take the play out of Your steering it will just slow it down just as a shock slows down a spring.
    As for Your belt it sounds to Me like it's either loose or the wrong belt all together. there is more to belts than just getting the right diameter. The shape is also imprortant.
    All of those stores carry the same pads. The cheap ones are crap and the ones that cost to much are the good ones. Make since!

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I have the dual stabilizers and I find that they help in my case where I live near roads with a LOT of potholes and deformations in the road, like where the heat and cars in the summer push the asphalt into little hills. They real cut down on the wheel spazzing out going back and forth when I hit 20 pothole in 50 feet. As far as everything else, listen to Corey 78K5. Thats about the same as what I would say, and also check the alignment of your belts.

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

In Your case You do make a valid point. Heat will casue a stabilizer to lose it's efficency so spreading the load over two of them should help in Your case.
    I don't see Ryan having that problem living in Vallejo (north Bay Area). The temps are mild there.

5. fordfreak300

fordfreak300 Registered Member

Cold also have a bad power steering pump. They liek to squeel when going bad. Check all of yoru steering joints and make sure everythin gis good there before just putting a band-aide on teh steering. those stabilizers won;t matter much if your steering goes out. Check everything out and get it fixed before putting stabilizers on.

6. stiches

okay so exnay on the dual stablizers...

on the screeching not even the bumps fix it no more...plus i am smelling rubber...sometime it quits but then when i am stoped and then go it starts right back up....my steering box thing is off the frame but bolted on...yea...ghetto i need someone close by to help me work on it...to get the bugs out...oh I am moveing from vallejo out to lodi (209) bout anhour away from vallejo temps in the valley are extrememe damn summers when its 120

7. fordfreak300

look at teh belt see if it has been stopign and is slipping. Also check your pullies and make sure they all turn. I have a weird feeling yoru power steering is starting to lock up. If it is still the original pump is due to be replaced anyway. Just make sure you check everything in the steering and have it all squared away before the stabilizer or stabilizers.

8. stiches

gotta look at the belts in da morning i think its the whole power steering system...i think i need to get a new pump/ frame brace/belt

9. fordfreak300

definately sounds like the pump is going out. I would start checkign there, adn liek i said make sure the pully turns free. Take the belt of and try moving up and down on the pully and see if it has excessive movement.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'm going to bet on a worn belt. no point in throwing expensive parts at it, when you can throw a cheap one at it that probably needs replaced anyways.

11. fordfreak300

First post says he just recently replaced the belt. If it is worn out then there is something causing it and merely throwing another belt on it will not fix the problem, just make it go away until the new belt gets worn too. Which is why i have him checking things to make sure they are ok or not. When fixing something ona vehicle you have to get to the root of the problem, otehrwise you only fix the symptons and they will come right back.

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

misread the post then. :rolleyes: i'm going to place a second bet on glazed pulleys. i've had it happen to me several times. an old belt will slip and smooth the pulleys out to the point that even a new belt will slip, causing a squeel. i've had good luck roughing them up (in the grooves) with a scotchbrite pad. replace the belt with another new one, and it should be good.

13. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I bet its just not tight enough. that and if it was new it might have slightly stretched. that little bit of looseness will cause the slipping. its not the bumps that cause it to stop, its just shortly after you take off the entire system is moving and theres less resistance, and the fluid is warm, therefore thinner.