Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

non lock-up 700r4 - anybody got one?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mattman, Apr 20, 2001.

1. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

I saw where JET makes a non-lock-up version of the 700R4. I was wondering if anyone is running this and how well they like it. Also, how bad is the mileage penalty really? Seems like it could solve a lot of problems if the lock-up converter wasn't there. I was thinking of going this way when mine needs to be rebuilt. (You guys are really starting to scare me with the horror stories)

90 GMC Jimmy, 350 TBI, 700R4, 32's
    84 Bronco II 204,000 miles and counting...........

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

lockup vs. non-lockup equals about 300 to 400 RPM. Down side - heat build up. Heat is the leading killer of automatic transmissions. Running an extra coller will bring the temp down some, but a non-lockup will tend to run hotter than a lockup.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Depends on teh stall of your converter. the higher the stall of the converter, the more power lost to the converter "slippage" and the more heat generated. Typically though, the difference IS in the 300-500 RPM range, which is a good amount. Not much wrong with the lockup system really, considering most go about 100k with no problems. Consider that all automatics have probably had lockup since the early to mid 80's, and you can see that its not a major problem causer.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>