Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

non roller cam to roller cam?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Oct 23, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

if i had a motor with a non roller cam could i change the cam to a roller cam if i can what else would i need to change (lifters etc?) the motor i have says it fits 87-95 will it work in my 73 because they all bolt up the same whats the difference?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It would help to know which motor your talking about here.

I could be wrong, but you cannot just slap a roller cam in a non-roller block. You need to buy a "retro roller" kit. Most the cam companies sell retro-roller kits to fit a roller cam into a non-roller block. You must change the lifters, they are part of the whole roller system (probably the main feature), they need to be the roller type. The kits come with everything you need. They are pricy though, cam/lifter/chain kit for my 4.3lV6 was $189, retro roller kit for same was $580.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If the block truely is a 87-95 and even if it currently does not have a roller cam the block is almost definately set up to accept a factory hydraulic roller cam.

If this turns out to be the case you would need

cam thrust plate and bolts, cam, lifters, lifter cross bars, lifter spider tray, push rods for roller lifters and the correct timing set for a roller cam.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

before purchasing any of that stuff, you need to pull the intake manifold, and verify that it has the bosses for the lifter spider tray i have seen several 87-90 blocks that didnt have them.

5. gauder

gauder Banned

If you are going to use a "retrofit" cam, you need to make sure it has the cast iron distributor gear pressed on or you need to run a bronze gear on your distributor. There is also some new space-aged plastic gear for the distributor available.

Different length pushrods too. Cam button, and new timing chain cover also.

6. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

alright my final line of questions that concern me... i want to use my flexplate off of my 73 k5 will it mate to the crank on this newer motor? this newer motor I think has a one peice seal would that qualify for another style oil pan or can i just use the same one off of my blazers motor im not sure what kind of heads are on this motor im waiting for the casting number hoping that the vavle covers will fit... the 73 from what i beleive is stock original..

as for the original question posted i found out that it is too expensive to change and wouldnt benefit me at this time due to lack of horsepower\torque i hear they are only practcal in higher horsepower engines but i hear that it is possible to do with a set of roller rockers springs and other things needed pretty much like the retrofit prolly.

7. gauder

gauder Banned

Nope, flexplate for one-piece rear main seals is weighted so you can't use your old non-weighted flexplate. Uses different pan too.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

bolt pattern on the flexplate is also smaller.

9. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

any ideas on where to get a cheap oil pan and flexplate? btw thanks a lot this has been very helpful

10. gauder

gauder Banned

Your best bet would be to hold on and go to a large swapmeet in your area, I've scored deals well below the lowest advertised prices I've seen at summit or jegs. If you can't wait you could always go with summit or jegs, or cruise on over to www.thirdgen.org and visit their classified section.

Good luck.

stock replacement oilpan at summit: p/n SUM-G3503X $33.99

11. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

a new flex plate from your local auto parts store should be similar in price, just ask for one for a 89 chevy 1/2 truck for a 168 tooth, a 89 camaro 350 for the 153 tooth

12. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

the holes for the stall\torque converter are the same right? i dont want to have to replace that because I replaced the tranny 2 or 3 months ago and its all new speced for a 73 i hope the new style flex plate will bolt up to it.

13. gauder

gauder Banned

Found this at summit too: p/n TCI-399 733 $84.88

Has both the small and large bolt patterns for converter so you'd be o.k. (10.75" and 11.50").

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned