Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Non Self Aligning Rocker Arms

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadJap, Jul 18, 2003.

1. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Well, I think I've done it again... I went out and bought some Comp Cams Pro Magnum Roller Rockers off a guy on Ebay. He initially listed them as the hi-tech stainless ones (in which self aligning and non self aligning is not specified), but they turned out to be pro magnum's instead. ANYWAY, the pro magnums turned out to be of the NON self aligning variety.

I have an 89 Jimmy with 350TBI. Can somebody tell me if this motor has self aligning rocker arms and if so, can they be converted to non self aligning rocker arms?

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Yes, I believe they are self aligning rocker arms. You can tell by taking the valve cover off and looking at the hole where the pushrod comes through the head. If it is a small hole(looks like the push rod is rubbing on the sides) they are not self aligning, because that in turn keeps the pushrod straight along with the rocker arms. If they go through a bigger hole, you need self aligning rocker arms. The only way to use non aligning rocker arms on heads that need them is to switch to earlier heads, or install guideplates under the rocker arm studs.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    You can tell by taking the valve cover off and looking at the hole where the pushrod comes through the head. If it is a small hole(looks like the push rod is rubbing on the sides) they are not self aligning, because that in turn keeps the pushrod straight along with the rocker arms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the hole on my Vortecs is not slotted, previous heads I've seen (non self aligning) are slotted a fair amount. In any case, I had to grind the heck out of my Vortecs to clear the pushrods.

"Rail" Rockers, have little tabs on either side of the valve stem. If nothing keeps the tip of the rocker aligned on the valve stem, except the pushrods, then they aren't self aligning.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Also don't forget that if you change over to guide plates you also need hardened pushrods or else you will wear a hole through your existing ones.

5. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Thanks for replying. It turns out I would need guide plates, screw in studs, a bit of machining, and hardened pushrods, which consequently ends up costing the same as the self aligning version of the roller rockers.

Fortunately I was able to cancel the order. Too bad it didn't work out, I was really looking forward to those.