Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Non-skippin' CD player suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio' started by OneInTheSun, Feb 29, 2000.

1. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Non-skippin\' CD player suggestions

The stock radio/cassette player in my 85 k5 is about shot, so I'm in the market for a CD player. Since I put on a 4" lift, I'm kind of concerned about the effect of the increased road vibration. Which brands are able to handle all the on and off road bumps? I don't have the cash to buy a top of the line unit, but I'm not going to buy junk either. Any input is appreciated.

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Re: Non-skippin\' CD player suggestions

I was in that dilemma myself too. What I ended up doing was to buy a portable mini-disc player (Sharp 702), and my Jensen amplifier. I hooked the amp to the speakers, and used that common 1/8"-RCA cable to plug the Minidisc to the amp.

Now I record my discs at home with the tracks I want in the order I want (I hate radio). Besides, I have the advantage of taking my minidisc with me wherever I go. Nothing in the dash for the thieves to see, and the amp is disguised under the driver's seat. Oh yeah, the Minidisc doesn't skip [​IMG]!

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

3. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

When i put my cd player in i was concerned about it skipping too. It's only skipped once...and that was over a reeeeallly bad set of railroad tracks. All i've got is a cheapy Jensen cd player thats about 4 years old. I think what makes the difference is how much support the cd player has inside the dash. I used to have that cd player in a car wheni 1st bought it....skipped like crazy...it had a big opening inside....since then it's sbeen in 4 different vehicles....haven't had a skipping problem with any of them....but they all have minimal space inside the dash too

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

4. NJ SAR Guy

NJ SAR Guy Registered Member

I've got a Pioneer DEHP2000. Very low end for Pioneer. A good head unit, but not great. I CANNOT MAKE IT SKIP. I've tried. At one point I thought I had got it to, turned out I had knocked the wiring harness loose. I LOVE Pioneer. They make great stuff. And this just reafirms my beliefe in Pioneer hardware.

NJ SAR Guy

Please excuse all of my misspelled wurds.

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I'm running an Alpine AM/FM CD deck and a CHanger and it has skipped a few times. It also depends on how you mount it and where you go.

<font color=red>C<font color=green>'<font color=blue>m<font color=orange>o<font color=purple>e

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I have had my Pioneer CD in my 79 for 5 years, never had a problem with a skip. My buddy mounted it very solidly to the dash, no movement at all.........think any good quality CD player if mounted right will be OK. Guess if you are running a washboard road at 50 mph, they all might skip, but normal stuff I have no skips at all.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

7. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i agree! i have run pioneer stuff too, and i love it. my cd head has never skipped once with the exception of when my left front tire dropped into a pothole about 8 inches deep. most violent hole ive ever hit. i thought i messed up something in the steering from that hard hit!

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

8. UT77GMC4x4

UT77GMC4x4 Registered Member

Another post for the Pioneer. I'm running a CD Player in my '77 GMC longbed with 4" Rancho Lift(no travel! don't recommend the lift). The lift gives an excellent evaluation of a CD Player, though, and I've only had mine skip a few times. I don't think they make anything that will not skip ever, and the times that it skipped, I can't complain about.

I paid about $200 for mine. Not ultra-high quality, but I'm pleased with the performance. My amp fried and I'm just running 6x9's off the deck and can't complain too much.

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well I've got a high end Rockford Fosgate Deck and when I first got it I couldn't make that thing skip at all. Now after owning it for a year however, it skips all the time. So I couldn't really recommend them. You might check Panasonic...yeah I know Panasonic??? But they have come a long ways here recently. They have 5 second skip protection in some of their better decks. That's really good. Pioneer and Sony are good bets also.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

10. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

way too many advances in technology over the last ten years or so to make this much of an issue. you can damn near get a swap-meet deck and kick some musical a$$. as for skipping, the road is fine, just listen to the radio when you wheel!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I just installed a brand new Clarion 5675. Great performance, awesome faceplate, and not even one skip yet. That includes while travelling on grader-chattered logging roads at 55mph.

12. chad

chad Registered Member

I have some really great JVC's that are fairly inexpensive that I could sell to you. Installed tons of em and never had them skip once, even in my friends grand prix when we had all four tires off the ground it didn't skip.

[​IMG]
    Cruisin Taz in a 79!
    Chad

13. Grey Thunder

Grey Thunder Registered Member

Home: Ojai, Ca......School:Santa Cruz, Ca

im going with the pioneer deck too...it only skipped once when i caught 3 feet of air

dj monteith

14. FULLTOP80

FULLTOP80 Registered Member

I HAVE A SONY CDX C610 THAT WAS ONE OF THE FIRST TO EVER HAVE ANTI SKIP IN THE HEAD UNIT IT WORKS GREAT OFFROAD BUT AFTER ABOUT FOUR YEARS IT STARTS TO SKIP AFTER A CONTINUOS SET OF BUMPS BUT PANISONIC MAKES AN AWSOME 12 SEC ANTI SKIP HEAD UNIT THAT IS AWSOME AND ECLIPSE IS PRETTY GOOD ON NOT SKIPPING

15. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've got an Alpine 7845 head unit and the only time it ever skipped was when I hit a HUGE set of railroad tracks going way to fast. It's a great head unit too, lots of options and it sounds great.

Joe
    88 Jimmy

16. Diesel Z57

Diesel Z57 Registered Member

Panasonic has come out with a new CD player which is supposedly designed for off-roaders. I also need a new stereo, so I started looking, and I found this website with that particular Panasonic on it. Here's a link to it:

http://www.audio-n-more.com/4X4.htm

Definitely worth a looksee.

17. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

It's the Panasonic G-Tech CQ-DPG615 (with remote). I just got one from Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com. It has a 10 second anti-shock memory so you can hit 10 seconds of hard bumps before it skips. I just picked this up even though I'm a Pioneer fan. It's a little pricey though ($380). We'll soon be doing a review on off-road.com in this unit. If anyone thinks about buying from Crutchfield, let me know and I can give you a code for free shipping.

sspickler@off-road.com

Shawn
    <font color=blue>87 K5</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>454, 6", D60, 14 blt, 465, 205</font color=red>
    www.off-road.com

18. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

id like that code if you are willing to give it up. I am almost finished deciding what im going to get. just send it to me in a private message. Thanks alot!

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

19. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I have a JVC 12-disc CD changer and it has never skipped once. I did have a JVC CD player that wasn't working, so I got this unit and it works flawlessly. Even went out Saturday night and hit the trails, no skipping at all. It should be even better with a lift, as the ride quality improves a great deal.

20. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Shaggy-
    I'll post it here in case others want to order from Crutchfield. You can call them (1-888-955-6000) and give them my customer ID # 19054567 as a referral. You can also do this online by entering 19054567 in the "special messages" box on the checkout form. You will then receive free shipping.

Shawn
    <font color=blue>87 K5</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>454, 6", D60, 14 blt, 465, 205</font color=red>
    www.off-road.com