Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Non-slip boots

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Is there any way I can make my boots non-slip without getting them re-soled? I've found out the hard way the last few days that mine don't do too well on wet pavement... or wet tile... Or the post office.... :crazy:

I've had them for about a year and a half and didn't pay for them, so I'm not afraid to get rid of them... Just wondering if there's something I can put on the rubber to make it slip-resistant...

Or even better, does anyone know a good brand I can buy that fits the following:
    -Black leather
    -Steel Toe
    -Non-slip
    -Soft sides on top
    -About 9 inches top to bottom
    -$100 or less

The pair I have now are just basic Belleville combat boots with everything but the steel toe and non-slip...

Hit me back.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Danners.... they meet all the criteria except the last one. lol! :grin: In all seriousness though, great boots. These would fit the bill nicely....

[​IMG]

I have the taller/all leather version that I wear for working on my truck, snow or any other heavy-abuse situation...

[​IMG]

As far as making your current boots no-slip without resoling them, how about adding some siping? prolly take a few hours with a razor blade, but it might work for ya...

j

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check out the timberland Titan workboot. Having worked in the business, I can tell you that outsole compounds are generally made for durability. It's really hit or miss until you get a specific shoe under the conditions you are talking about. I'd give the Timberland a try.

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I've got these

They're nice

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ditto on the Danners, great boots, and while they aren't cheap, they are well worth the money. I like my Danners alot better than my last pair of Bates.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

danners also last a long time. The pair I have on my feet right now are 12 years old and still going hella strong. At some point in the next 5 years I'll prolly take them to the Danner HQ (10 miles from my house) to have them refurbished and resoled. Other than that, and copious amounts of polish, they will prolly last a lifetime.

j

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I wear slip-on Doc Marten industrials #2295 at work...but they aren't under $100.

8. gauder

gauder Banned

I second the Doc Martens. Check e-bay or zappos.com

9. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Magnum Stealth II side zip steel toe

10. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I have a pair of 8" Wolverine workboots. They cost about $80 (I think the steeltoe version was slightly more) and they grip like crazy. I wore them at work (tile-floored kitchen) when it was cold, and since it's gotten warm, I've started wearing a pair of Globe skate shoes. My Wolverines don't slip at all, but when I'm wearing those Globes, I'm always on the verge of busting my ass.

11. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I found a pair that I like... They seem like good quality boots, $89:

[​IMG]

This Hi-Tec Waterproof Men's Magnum Tactical Boot is designed for military, service, and emergency personnel. Its waterproof full-grain/super action leather upper is durable and keeps your foot dry during all weather conditions. Features and Benefits
    • Shoe Profile: High cut--Supports and protects ankles in rough terrain.
    • Upper Material: Full-grain leather--Comfortable fit and rugged durability.
    • Waterproof--Dry and comfortable feel.
    • Water Resistant Construction: Sympatex(R) Plus--Helps to keep feet dry in wet conditions.
    • Lacing System: Rustproof hardware--Long-lasting durability.
    • Toe Bumper--Durability and protection when scuffed.
    • Toe Box--Added durability and protection when scuffed.
    • Midsole Cushioning: 3D2 contoured comfort and innersole--Three densities of cushioning and three dimensions of support.
    • Outsole Material: T.S.D. outsole--Increased traction, support and durability.
    • Lug Design: Rubber lug--Added traction and durability.
    • Outsole Stability: Steel shank--Offers support and stability.
    • Last Construction: Board lasted--Offers you additional stability.
    • Last Design: Slight curve--Common shape for a normal arch, rear or midfoot striker, or average foot mobility.
    • Bootie: Sympatex(R) Plus--Waterproof and breathable bootie.
    • Padded Collar--Offers you comfort around your ankle.
    Key Specs
    • Model Number: 1142
    • User: Men
    • Foot Type: Average
    • Hiking Type: Performance
    • Fit Length: True to size
    • Outsole Construction: Stitched
    • Shoe Weight: 1.4 Pounds

Well, it's not the EXACT boot... Mine have a steel toe, I don't think the one in the picture does... But it's the same design... Same boot, only steel toe, doesn't really change the look I guess :)

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a pair of those that are 7 or so years old. Great boots for hunting. Or you could try this -

[​IMG]