Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Non stock gas tank w/tbi, aftermarket pumps?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by camiswelding, Dec 9, 2004.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Alright...
    Im getting rid of my factory saddle tanks in favor of a rear mounted (probably a sub) tank. While it might be a sub tank and therefor I assume I could use all the sub stuff including an in tank pump...
    what if
    I want to run an aftermarket tank... that has no pump... are good aftermarket pumps made that work for tbi high pressure... and what would be the best way to plumb one... what kind of line?
    If I choose to go a single tank can I use the factory electrics and get rid of one leg (aux tank)
    any ideas?

many thanks
    cam

about ready to sell tbi factory tanks

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

To start with, TBI is not really what most would call "high pressure". It generally is spec'd for around 12-13 psi, and some prefer up to 16-18 or so, depending on what you are doing. But that's mostly a function of the regulator in the TB unit. I prefer the stock pump for it's reliability, availability, and low cost. However, there are any number of OEM and aftermarket in-line pumps capable of providing the required pressure and volume. There are still others that will work with additional regulators and other mods. Just check the spec sheet on the pump and make sure it's in the range of the stock pump, or maybe a little higher, and it will work fine with the stock bypass regulator in the TB unit itself. If the pump is too far above spec, it may overwhelm the regulator and result in pressure too high that will cause trouble, and obviously it should not be below stock spec since that will give you pressure and/or volume deficiencies.

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

thanks russ... I understand