Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

None of my friends can give me a straight answer on this so help would be appreciated

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by iwaxmyjimmy, Mar 9, 2007.

1. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

I just scored to 10 bolt front axles (one is missing one knuckle) for $50. My plan is to convert one to 8 lug and and the other one will be for parts (IE. gears are going into my rearend to keep that healthy till I find a 14 Bolt).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  2. iwaxmyjimmy

What year Tcase out of a Dodge Half ton can be made to work with the 700R4? I found a 86', also I have the stock ranchos off the back of a F350 dually that Im going to use when I do my Shackle flip and 56inch spring swap.

3. iwaxmyjimmy

just went and picked up the axles. One is missing the outer knuckle but has both shafts, gear set, other knuckle/inner C, hub, and caliper/rotor. The other is complete hub to hub minus the calipers. I also got some willwood aluminum calipers to fit them with some huge pistons for 30 bucks. He threw in a highflow fuel pump just for kicks. Tomorrow I'm going to swap the ring/pinion/carrier from one of the axles to my rear axle, then break down both of the housings and start cleaning. I've got to find some caliper brackets from a 3/4 ton axle so I can complete my 8 lug swap. Anyone know where I can get these aftermarket or OEM?

4. iwaxmyjimmy

Can I take the ring,pinion, and carrier with all the shims and bearings and swap them into my rear housing? I will make sure the pattern is right but will that get me close? Is it possible because I dont know if he front has provisions for C-clips or not.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The carrier should be the same for a front or rear. You need to make sure it is 28 spline if this is for your 87. Starting in (supposedly 1989 but i've heard of earlier) GM changed to 30 spline axles.
    If you remove everything including shims this would be a good "starting point" but i'm sure you will end up needing to add or remove shims or even move shims around to get the gears set-up correctly.

6. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I believe late 80's, so an 86 may work, but don't quote me. You will need a custom clocking ring and need to swap the input shaft due to difference in spline counts

7. iwaxmyjimmy

Ok, well I've got a mini install kit i plan to use the shims from that, and they came out 80' and a 80ish' blazers. Both are 10 bolts and I know they are not 89 and up models. The guy had a Tcase out there that was a fix yoke rear with an light weight(i picked the back yoke up with one hand) case and he said it was chain drive. But it looked to be a pass. side drop. he was gonna let me have it for $25. And thanx alot for answering I had no clue, and it was a random question because Ive never heard of anyone trying this.

8. muddermilitia

for $25 I'd buy it and try and make it work. An SYE costs $350

9. iwaxmyjimmy

I am getting in touch with him next weekend about an aluminum waterpump, maybe the Tcase out of a 79' K10 he had out there, and I guess that Tcase. Also hes got a MSD distributor with a MSD-6 ignition system that was on a race car of his for $100 he wants to sale me. He was real nice and said " I was good people". He was a nice country guy lol.

10. muddermilitia

Why are you going to get the tcase out of the 79? NP203?

11. iwaxmyjimmy

this guy is practally giving me this stuff, and my sisters b/f is dumb and will buy it from me for like $150 or something.

12. muddermilitia

:haha: well there ya go!

13. iwaxmyjimmy

Heck he wants to buy the bullet hole wheels I've got on my truck now (15x10 pacer bullet holes) for $400. I think hes a moron, but hey money is money. I think I can get a 14 bolt and wheels for the money Ima get from the wheels. I just gotta find someone to sale my 33x12.50s so I can get the 37 SSRs from my friend (3/4 tread for $350). Then all I need is a 4.88 for the 14 bolt and a detroit. And bam I just built a sweet DD/ trail rig.

14. iwaxmyjimmy

Just got home from work. I took apart the complete 10 bolt. It has an open front diff, 2.73 gears, the gears are in great condition along with the spindles/bearings/shaft assemblies, and for some reason the guy had slugs in the end(so im guessing it was a full time 4 wheel drive axle). Sometime this week I will tear down the other front axle and see what gears and how good of shape its in.