Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NonGreasable joint q?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I picked up a Brute Force joint for my front driveshaft last night to replace the joint in my spare driveshaft.

The counter guy said it is pregreased and it is nongreasable. I am thinking I still should throw some more grease in the caps just for sh&t and grins though. Should I?

Counter dude said it was synthetic grease in the joint but all I have is semi synthetic red Valvoline grease or Marine grease (boat trailer wheelbearing grease) Which should i use and is it ok to mix greases?

I don't run alot of water in Arizona as you could probably guess so I don't think the Marine grease is warranted.

Thanks
    Harley

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I never bother to put any additional grease in them. They're lubricated for life according to Neapco.

If you're going to add grease, use the wheel bearing grease as it is made for higher temperatures.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

on my Spicer 5-806x joint for my D60 shafts, the little piece of paper in the box said to leave them the [darn] alone...so I did. It said not to add any grease...

Chris

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what does "for life" mean?
    once it is rusted away its life is over?
    I just pulled a joint out of my new 60 a few days ago and thought of you
    some offbrand greaseable that had a blockage to one cross
    2 rusted and seized caps
    2 in very serviceable condition
    that is now added to my 'trophy collection' for next time someone claims non greaseable are a good idea

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Have it your way.

Non-greasable are stronger, and sealed better than greasable, that is not a question.

Spicer makes both types for those that prefer the others. Every decision you make on something to do with your rig involves trade offs. I will not trade off strength for maintenance ability. You apparently will, and that is fine with me if it is fine with you.

6. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

I use non-greasable joints as well! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Well I ended up slapping some Marinc grease in the end of each cap and grease pit. Not because I wanted to but because I had too. Apparently 110* heat doesn't keep the factory synthetic grease thick enough to hold needle bearins in place so I used the Marine grease to hold it. It may not be the way it should be done but oh well, it is much better then the bone dry ujiont that was in my front shaft that I replaced with my spare.

Now I have to repeat the process again on my other driveshaft. Apparently the madness never ends. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Harley

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you still have never shown an instance that the grease passage was the cause of breakage
    and I have never seen a break origonating at the grease nipple
    I can show you countless rusted to death u joints

I do not think strength is effected, service life is vastly effected
    it isnt like you have enough power to spit out 1480 WJs anyway, same boat as I

most images of busted ujoints show the bearings dry as dirt and rusted

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    better then the bone dry ujiont that was in my front shaft that I replaced

[/ QUOTE ]

ah hem
    wouldnt a grease nipple be handy?

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I am a die hard non-greasable man. You can't fit a grease gun in the corner of a yoke most of the friggin' time any way. I am looking into drilling out each of the caps of my 806's and installing pin style flat mount zerks (like the ones on CTM's). I might try this on all of my joints (probably test on a 1310 cause they are cheap). They will be as strong as before but servicable (a bit easier to do for some joints). Anybody else done this before? Did it work.

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Thought about it a whole bunch of times. It wasnt so much that i like non greasables, just that it was darn near impossible to get a grease gun into the passages- However, someone told me that I can acutally use a grease needle to go right into the grease nipple head, and get grease in there that way. havent tried it yet, might just do it tomorrow....

12. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I have the needle for my grease gun and there are only 2 spots it won't reach , 10 bolt upper ball joints. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    It works awsome for greasing all the rest of the drive train /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I threw away the normal grease gun tip after I tried the needle
    with the needle all the grease goes into the part rather then all over the outside of the nipple

BUT I think the poster was asking about driveline ujoints and you can get a normal grease gun on all of them except the CV where you need a needle

IIRC the 1480 D60 ujoints SPL55-4x come with the needle style lube points

14. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    Now I have to repeat the process again on my other driveshaft. Apparently the madness never ends. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the club buckwheat /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif The year before last was my "driveshaft hell year" /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

15. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am looking into drilling out each of the caps of my 806's and installing pin style flat mount zerks (like the ones on CTM's)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do this on your driveshaft then you better not drag it across anything and shear the zerks off.

16. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have the needle for my grease gun and there are only 2 spots it won't reach , 10 bolt upper ball joints.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that's why Moog uppers have the zerk on the lower side so you can easily reach it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Hossbaby50

Spicer 5-806x's are axleshaft ujoints. Not driveshaft ujoints.

Harley