Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noob 350 sb interchange q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gibby2268, Jun 15, 2006.

1. gibby2268

gibby2268 1/2 ton status

Howdy all! Just took on a project (read money pit!) 79 K5 Blazer that I picked up CHEAP. It has an 89 shortblock in it and I have a set of decent 74 heads, Edelbrock torker intake Holley 600 (I think). I've done a good bit of searching but am still a bit unclear, will the older heads go fine on the newer block? Please pardon my ignorance, I've built some engines before but never a Chevy.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Yes the heads will bolt on . Just make sure the intake you use is meant for the heads . They changed the angle of the middle intake bolts on the newer stuff .

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Whats the last 3 casting numbers on your heads? I can tell you how " decent" they are.

4. gibby2268

gibby2268 1/2 ton status

the last 3 are 882. From what I've read these do tend to be "crack prone." Any particular areas I should check as to cracks?
    I know that these are some of the lower powered heads out there, but right now they'll do. VERY tight budget on this thing!

5. pauly383

Those aren't that bad if they have been gone though , as far as 70's era heads go . I have a set all finished and in plastic bags to go in my Chevelle with larger valves and some mild work done . I don't plan on running too fast .

They outflow the aluminum head mid 80's vette heads :thumb:

6. gibby2268

gibby2268 1/2 ton status

Thnx, Good to hear.
    'Nuther dumb question...the head gasket sets are different for the two different era parts I have....which do I go with? Was gonna go with a Felpro set, but do I use the age of the heads or the block to determine? I'm guessing the heads, but what do I know???:o
    Oh yeah, pretty sure the intake is for an older one, so that shouldnt be a problem.

7. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the 882's are not the best of that era, but you are not building a race car either. Have 'em magnafluxed at the machine shop to check for cracks. Oh yeah, and dont listen to Pauly383, I dont think he has a k5 or even a drivers license.:D :wink1: j/k.

8. pauly383