Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NOOB question about Shackle angle.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 02turbogixxer, Aug 28, 2006.

1. 02turbogixxer

02turbogixxer Registered Member

I just picked up my first 4wd (84 Blazer 383/700r4/NP208/10b) and I have been reading alot about different mods like the B52 kit and the 56" rear spring. I want to put a 14bff out back and a D60 up front with 52" or 56" springs in front and 64"ers out back but my question is I hear alot about having a good shackle angle. Could someone show me what the perfect shackle angle looks like? From the little bit I have read my guess is a slight angle rearward. Thanks for the help guys.:bow:

BTW: I have been learning alot from all the info on this site. I just wish I would have bought a Blazer years ago. I didn't realize you could do so much to them just by swaping out stock parts from other trucks.

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

make sure your shakle angle is going down back from the spring, not in line with the spring per say, make sense? They say 0-20* angle back makes a decent ride and not too tipsy, 20-30*back or so is flexier for maybe more of a weekend warrior but it will be tipsier. 30*+ back or so will be super flexy but aldo alot more unstable. I have some pics at home I can post later but i'm sure someone will before then. Become a memeber and search too, there have been topics like this discussed before with more info and other peoples experiences.

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

This angle is wrong, reverse it so it is the other way and it would be right.

[​IMG]

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Like MNorby said, there's no "perfect" shackle angle, but you can find the best angle for what your aplication is. Variables are the type of wheeling you do, the type of street driving you do, the kind of weight the rear of your rig will have most of the time, etc.

[​IMG]

I've found this angle to work very well for me, but my truck is stricly a trail rig/trailer queen.

Hope this helps

5. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The most important thing to consider is what type of springs you have. A zero lift spring will be nearly flat, thus requiring a ton of shackle angle. Since the spring will not flatten much under compression, you can can set it up with a lot of angle giving you huge droop. If you are running lift springs, you will require less angle the more lift you have. There is some science to it- read up on suspension designs and find what works best for you. It took me several months to get my suspension perfect but the ride and flex is well worth it.

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Where in Wylie you located? Im in plano, Koldsimer is in allen. We go wheelin alot and are always workin on our rigs.

Koldsimer and myself are running stock length(47") front lift springs with 56" rear springs. I get my front tire 53" off the ground when i lift another tire. Koldsimer gets more than 56" of flex.

The best thing i did to my suspension was a shackle flip in the rear and relocate the shackle mount on the front springs.

Front shackle mount relocation-
    [​IMG]

My rear shackle angle....I will be increasing it sooner or later by moving my shackle flip forward on the frame and lengthening my shackle a little bit. -
    [​IMG]

My full flex- [​IMG]

Koldsimers not yet full flex-
    [​IMG]

7. 02turbogixxer

02turbogixxer Registered Member

I live real close to the Wal-Mart on Hwy 78 that they just built a couple of years ago. But I work in Allen, off Central and Bethany.

I have been reading alot about the shackle flip and I am deffinantly going to do that but I was just wondering about how my shackle angle is supposed to be. Thank you guys for all the info.

Edit: By the way here is what I have to start with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]