Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noob with transmission issues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Element, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

Am I asking enough questions yet?

Today while changing the oil in the Blazer (which came out as dark as Satan's blood), I took a look at the leak I thought was coming from the transfer case. It's actually coming from where the output shaft tailhousing deal (not 100% sure what it's called), which has me really worried, especially due to what the fluid looks like. I've attached a few pictures of the leak and the fluid, and it's going in to the shop on Wednesday to get fixed, but I'd like to have some sort of idea as to what could be wrong with it before I drop it off. Trans is a Jasper rebuilt TH350, and I believe it has the NP208 on the back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The leak itself isn't a major concern, since the seal is quite visibly screwed up, and I'd imagine it just needs a new seal and will be fine. What worries me is the fluid coming out of it - I've never seen anything that color or consistency. It's about the same texture and thickness as gravy, doesn't have an odor, and isn't gritty. One person told me it could be because the truck sat for a year and was only driven a few times, that vapor condensated inside the transmission case and mixed with the fluid, causing that mess.

2. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

Looks to me like you got ALOT of water in there. Was this ever driven through lakes/rivers/big puddles? If the seal was bad and spent some time in the water, then that would explain how it got in there. Otherwise, I'd be making a list of who doesnt like you...............

3. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

Don't know - I just bought it last Monday, and have put about 200 miles on it since then.

I imagine the entire transmission is going to need flushed, new filter, transfer case flush, etc etc? The transmission works and shifts fine, but probably not for too much longer, if there's that much water in there...

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The transfer case & transmission do not share fluid so hopefully it is only your 208 with water in it. Pull the dipstick on the trans and see if the fluid looks good in the trans and the motor also.

Drain the 208 ASAP & refill drive it around and get everything moving and warm. Drive some in 4x4 (on dirt) and then drain it again ASAP. You will need to flush it at least once to get the junk out of there. The good news with a 208 is there are no clutches in a tcase so you may be alright with just a flush. The other good news about 208's is they are pretty easy to find and can usually be had pretty cheap if it is bad.

Harley

5. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sure looks like water as stated...check your breathers...run tubes to a higher location for future protection.