Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noobie here to off-roading not sure how to approach please help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by viperrgh20, Apr 8, 2006.

1. viperrgh20

viperrgh20 Registered Member

Ok so a few buddies of mine including my self are getting into some off-roading. One friend has a 93 grand cherokee 4" lift 31's, 78 K10 35s and 5", 86 K10 31s stock. Soo anywyas you probably see I'm from longisland and wonder where we off-road but we actually got some cool spots haha. Now the purpose of this post is I'm not sure what to get. I know I love full size domestic trucks and specifcally 70-80s GMs, thats why I'm here. My biggest question is I'm not sure wether to get a truck already done or build one my self. I love to work on cars so I'd like to build it my self but If i can save alot of money getting one with most the off-road stuff done then I would. However I'm worried one already done could be beat to hell. I want to get like 35s probably pretty big but nothing monsterous. I am on a small budjet but not to small. Money on hand now is like $1,000 but over time I would make more to do upgrades... Any info like things to know that most noobies dont and what I should do will be great. ps I already have a daily car so I don't care about mpg. Thanks!

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

It may be hard to find a running 4x4 for a grand. The ones I have seen for that are 50% rust and the part that is not rusted is covered in a leaking fluid. Step up to the 2500.00 rang and you can get a decent truck. step to 5000.00 and you can sometimes buy a built ready-to-go rig.

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

hey hey hey now!!! what's wrong with that? I paid a grand for mine and it meets this description to a t. but all that fluid helps to prevent rust. And I can just buy alot of fluids :eek1: :D

4. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't know about where you come from, but the clubs in Alaska have annual mechanical inspections. Rigs that leak are not allowed to hit the trail on sanctioned club runs. The responsible thing for any OHV owner/driver to do is to ensure that their rig is NOT going to contaminate the trail with any leaking fluids.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Ummmm...... relax guy, It was a joke.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

it all depends on what you find, i went up to long island with a friend a couple months ago and bought a 1ton k5 on balding 42's for $1250. dont just buy the first thing you see, unless its a screamin deal

7. AKbigsub

Sorry, I get a little wound up when people talk about trashing the environment, joking or not.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It was a good reply, especially since he said he was new.

vip- try to get a hold of "ratch" he's in your neck of the woods and might be able to point you to a good deal.

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

HAHA. In order for 99% of us to make our rigs leak-free, we would have to junk them and buy brand new cars. Seriously though, its nearly impossible to make a 15-20+ year old vehicle not leak anything.
    -Harrison

10. AKbigsub

I think a distinction between seapage and leakage needs to be made. I would agree that it is difficult to stop all leaks, but I is possible to stop the big ones and try to stop the others. If a gasket contiues to leak after gasket replacement it stands to reason that the gasket is not the problem. Poor install? Uneven surface? Too much blow-by? Plugged axle vent? Bad PCV valve? There are countless repairable reasons for gaskets and seals to leak. Unfortunately, some of them are expensive to fix and are often just let go because oil is cheaper than major repair. I would say, just do the best you can and try to be as responsible as possible, ie. don't take a road-oiler in the stream etc.

11. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Get a CUCV pickup. Beefy frame, 1 Tons, 4.56 gears, one locker.