Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

noobie question...........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Frankenstien, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Frankenstien

Frankenstien 1/2 ton status

done a couple searchs on welders(good results THE SEARCH WORKS USE IT /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) found nothing on stick/arc welding. any suggestions, or should I just keep looking for that deal on a mig. 1st welder I have no exeperience whatsoever exect for watching my buddy weld for me

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Stick welders I would get a Lincoln AC225 or if you can find it a AC/DC 225. The AC version you can pick up at Home Depot from about $200. Good machine for the cash. Down side is you can forget about doing anything much less that 1/8 inch.
    Stick welding also takes a lot more to learn but once you have it down it makes Mig welding super easy. One thing about a stick is it is much easier to get good penetration on thicker metals. the 225 can handle 1/4 no problem. I have done a few prodjects where 3/4 was involved and it did the job.
    I don't care what the 110v Migs say they can handle but my experiance is that 3/16 was pushing it because they just couldn't get the penetration. to get into a Mig that can handle those thicknesses you need to step up to a 220v mig. Your looking about $600 for that PLUS tank so by the time your all set up your in the $800 range. The stick welder your up and running for around $275 once you pick up Rods, Decent helmet and gloves.
    If your doing projects like bumpers then Stick is a cheap way to go with god results once you learn how to use it.
    If your wanting to do body work type stuff then a Mig is the way to go. If you have a stick then the 110v units will fill in where the Stick cant and work well as a team but yor going to be about the same amount of cash as getting a decent 220v Mig. I use a Hobart Handler 175 220v mig and it's been a excelent machine for the type of projects wheelers are likly going to do.
    www.cyberweld.com is about the cheapest place for Miller and Hobart welders.
    Hobart is owned by Miller and they geared to the home hobiest.

3. Frankenstien

Frankenstien 1/2 ton status

thanks grim, bumpers, floors, heavy stuff for now maybe cage once I get a little experience /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif