Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noobie with Dumb Trailer Wiring Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by warcat, Feb 8, 2006.

1. warcat

warcat Registered Member

I'm new, and don't know too much about vehicles, so here's my stupid question: How do I install a "light plug recepticle" for my boat trailer's lights to plug into? I've got an '85 Jimmy with no plug, and I need to be able to tow my boat with working brake/ signal lights.

I'm sure it is pretty easy to do, but I need a step by step process of how to do it.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

best way..

Go to Wal-Mart or any parts store and buy one of the trailer "T" fittings that you plug into the wiring harness..there is a plug near the rear of yor truck in the wiring to the rear lights,you just pop it apart,plug in the "T" thing,and plug the wires back into it..the "T" has about 4' of wire with a 4 prong trailer plug on it that goes to the trailer..no cutting,soldering,figuring out which wire runs what,etc..if the harness is already butchered by a previous owner,you might have to do it the "hard" way...:crazy:

3. warcat

warcat Registered Member

Thanks, now where will I find the wiring harness? Is it right out in the open near the back, or will I have to really look for it? I assume it might have some wires running to the brake lights?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Your truck has a connector that plugs the tail light harness into the main harness and there is a plug and play wiring harness that plugs in between them. Go to any auto parts store and tell them you want the plug and play harness that fits your truck.

5. 4X4HIGH

The wiring harness is between the frame rails just behind the bumper.

6. warcat

warcat Registered Member

Awesome guys, thanks alot!!

7. warcat

warcat Registered Member

So, I finally got around to ordering and installing the T-connector. It took me a total time of 1 minute or so to put in. Absolutely simple. But I go to test it on my boat trailer, and it's not exactly working right.

Almost everything works perfectly (running tail lights when truck headlights are on and turn signals both directions). The brake lights work, but ONLY if the truck headlights are off. If the truck headlights are on, the brake lights on the trailer don't come on. In fact, all trailer lights go off if I apply the brakes w/ my headlights on.

So basically, if I run the truck/ boat during the day, everything is fine. But for those early morning trips (nearly all of 'em), the trailer lights aren't going to work properly since I'll need my headlights on.

Anyone know what I need to do to fix this problem?

8. tbill

tbill Registered Member

It sounds like a grounding issue. Did you connect the white wire to the trailer frame?
    Another question...are you absolutely sure you purchased the right connector?
    Here is a link to a trailer wiring site: http://www.accessconnect.com/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm

Good luck

9. warcat

warcat Registered Member

I ordered it online specific to the year model. The package had my truck listed as match. I did ground the white wire to the truck, but come to think of it, the white wire on the trailer is just wrapped around the connector, and it doesn't even have a loop for grounding. Is it possible that this is the culprit?

10. 4X4HIGH

Very well could be. The lights may work during the day without the headlights on because there isn't a big enough draw on the system but when the headlights are on if the ground isn't good enough and there is enough resistance they don't work.