Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Northern WI Pics

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by Polaris, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Nothing major, trails light to medium but we did find a little good mud. First time for me out in this area. Also the '71 Ford is driven by a woman, and she just got it the day before. She has been riding along for a few years but has never driven. She looked like this /forums/images/icons/grin.gif the whole time!
    http://www.polariswebdesign.com/rhiwheelin.htm

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool!
    My family tree is from Broadhead WI. WE still have famliy running a milk farm for a local cheese factory. Perrty cool place. I was there back in my early 20s. Fireflys and frogs /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Later

3. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

good to see ya'll were having fun, the country up that area of the US is great except for the nine months of winter...good to hear about the ladies out wheelin even if it is in a furd...gotta love the it /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I'm not crazy about winter, but it's only 6 months long /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    With 3 young uns it's hard to go snowmobiling or something, but this year I aim to try wheelin' in the snow. I'm SO glad I'm not the only girl with a rig in our group now. She has never driven a 4 wheel drive in her life so she had some questions about 4-Hi, 4-Lo etc and I was glad I could help her out on that. Plus we can wheel more often if say one of the guys breaks something! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

That's pretty neat. I grew up in Central WI where there are a lot more farms, but ended up here in the "Northwoods" where there really aren't any dairies. Lots of deer though! Even in the city, driving to/from work or at the high school there is almost always deer. The leaves are turning here now and it is absolutely amazing. Maybe I'll post some pics soon.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool!
    I hope you have a safe winter!
    Have fun /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Burt

7. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Looks like you all had fun! Let me know when everyone is ready for some snow wheeling, i'll volunteer to get stuck!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif How did you find a place so close to home?

8. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I guess the locals all know of the place. It has a particular name. Trev had been out there before but I hadn't, since my truck was too wimpy when he went. Now I can't wait to go back out! Washed my truck yesterday and tightened u-bolts. Good to go for some new mud. Unfortunately we have plans out-of-town this weekend, and work the following one. I took pics of our land yesterday and will post those later on if I can. Plenty of camping room for when it's nice out. Right now, though, it's 37 degrees and that's after it warmed up some! Not camping weather, lol.

Oh let me run this by you since I'm rambling... I'm asked what I'd like to do to my truck so that my favorite 4 wheel drive parts guy can send me some parts. I'll be doing some tech articles. I have the axles on "layaway" for next spring so that's out. Any recommendations on an upgrade?

9. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

What exactly are you looking to upgrade, anything on the truck? I'm sure lots of people around here have plenty of suggestions. I usually upgrade when i break stuff. 3/4 ton axles when my 1/2 ton stuff broke, body lift cause my mounts were gone, tailgate swap, you get the picture /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif You've already got a soft top too, so thats one more thing off the list. After you got that dent from pipeline, i guess rocksliders would be next /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I suppose I should have had the sliders *before* the Pipeline. BorregoK5 gave me a neat idea to remedy my lack of rocker and the dent. I am just trying to make up my mind if I want to work with this body or let it go all to heck. I am leaning towards working with it. Big problem areas are well, the rockers (or lack thereof), rear quarters along the wheel well, and rear tailgate area. I am not fond of flares but I know that the cut-outs would fix that rust problem. Rock sliders, and some work on the tailgate. Then line the interior with bedliner and paint the outside something cool. I saw a very nice paint job yesterday on a different thread.

Geez, get me talking on trucks and I can't stop! Back to work!
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifThose pictures look familiar, where did you say they were from? Rhinelander? They look like the typical northern WI and upper peninsula trails, trees and clear cuts. I go to school in Houghton, MI, but I'm one of the many people from Wisconsin up here. Speaking of winter lasting 9 months, we're supposed to get snow this weekend! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

12. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Hey, I lke your sig line. Where is Houghton? Yes we are expecting the s-word on Sunday. Not my favorite thing, although I think I'll try winter wheeling this year. Last year I had a stock truck with worn-out A/T's, so this should be much better (4" lift + 33" M/T's). I hope I can pull lots of people out with my new strap, too!

13. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

Houghton is about 150 miles NNE of Rhinelander, its on the Keweenaw peninsula, about 10 miles from Lake Superior. I have the same setup on my blazer /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif except I have new 33" A/T's. I heard the AT's were better in the snow, which would be nice, especially when we got just under 300" of snow last year. I like the snow, but the snow does get old come May or June.

I grew up in Gillett, WI, which is just down hwy 32 from where you go wheeling on the pipeline.

14. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Being close to the pipeline would be cool, but EXPENSIVE with all the broken parts & all /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Give a holler if you are ever down this way and we'll go wheelin'.