Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Northstar engine and trans swap?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 75K5, Apr 9, 2001.

1. 75K5

75K5 1/2 ton status

Has anyone attempted to install the 300HP DOHC northstar motor and trans in a Blazer? Seems like there would be plenty of room, but what about attaching the transfer case?

Also, where can I get the crate motor/trans besides the junkyard?

Thanks,
    Brian
    bjherron@telocity.com

2. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

Biggest problems will be motor mount locations and trans adapter. Since this is a front driver the motor mounts are all wrong. Also, since this has a front driver trans, will need a custom adapter plate for a rear (four) driver trans. There was a write-up in Hot Rod in the last year. Put a northstar in a rear driver. Lots of custom stuff, article might help though. Supposedly they fit in a Fiero real easy though, engine and front driver trans.

90 GMC Jimmy, 350 TBI, 700R4, 32's
    84 Bronco II 204,000 miles and counting...........

3. 75K5

75K5 1/2 ton status

ahh, true. I forgot the caddys are FWD (YUK!).

Do you know if any of them were RWD that had the northstar? Surley that Caddy SUV (Escilate I think) was RWD?

That might change my plans. My Mark VIII has the Ford DOHC V8, and I love it. I'm not a huge fan of pushrod, but I'll do it If I have to.

Thanks!!
    Brian

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure the Escilade uses the GM motor with just Caddi badges and maybe some other minor changes. Supposedly some of the Caddis are going back to RWD. That would be kick.
    I would like to put the 'Deathstar' in my '96 Monte. It should work, but I don't have near enough time or a place to do it. Besides, my K5 keeps me busy enough. (just got new front calipers)

[​IMG]

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

All the Northstar engines are installed in front wheel drive applications. The Escalante was nothing more than a Suburban with lots of Caddy geegaws stuck all over it. Had the 350 Vortec engine under the hood.

Installing a Northstar into a RWD application costs some pretty serious cash. Car Craft did an article on this swap within the last year or so. Just the adapters to mickey mouse it together were around $1500. [​IMG]

Those engines are incredible. Smooth power... No excitement, no loud noises, just big numbers showing up on the speedo very quickly! The STS Seville is one smokin' ride! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Cadillac is tooling up right now for rear wheel drive Northstar drivetrains. I am guessing that the first application will be the Evoq (Corvette platform) that they are coming out with pretty soon. Expect more rear drivers in the next few years. That will make the swap a little easier, but no less expensive for the short term.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

The Northstars are great motors, but I don't think it'd make a good swap. They only put out around 300 ft lbs, and are very difficult and expensive to work on. Not sure of the bell housing bolt pattern, but I believe they used the 4T80E (FWD version of the 4L80E, L=longitudinal, T=transverse). By the time you were done with it, you could have one hell of a nice small block (or BB, for that matter).

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

8. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

You could try the 260hp LT1 out of a caprice.

GOT ROCKS?