Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

norton antivirus security issues?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thezentree, Sep 7, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

a friend of mine told me today that companies pay norton to allow their adware/spyware to install itself and remain there. anyone heard anything like this or experienced this?

i'd like to not have to deal with that sh!t /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

might be true my norton isn't able to remove some adware.

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I'd believe it, I have to clean alot of crude out that Norton won't delete or detect.

4. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I sure hope not. The level of their spyware is way beyond my ability to catch it all. I figure nothings private anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

I have norton, and it doesn't pick up a lot of spyware....do a search on "Ad-Aware", its a freeware progam, and /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif it picked up 198 ad/spy ware items, and another load of questionable items! i'm all cleaned up now.

6. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Thank you for the tip!

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Norton is not designed to filter "spyware". Spyware is not truly deemed harmful and lots
    of on line tracking services utilize it. Trojans on the other hand are a nightmare!
    By the way, I use a daily regimen of the following:

SpywareBlaster(free) -runs in background and excellent
    CWShredder(free) - the best for stupid hijackers, will fix most
    Ad-Aware(free)- decent and free
    HijackThis.exe(free) - best tool of all in my opinion
    Spybot Search and Destroy (free)- Excellent, newest version actually pops up when spyware trys to
    load while surfing(once you set it in options)
    MRU Blaster(free)- keeps your pc clean

Spybot and SpywareBlaster recongize each other and work with together with no issues.

If you pc gets infected with a VERY stubborn spyware or hijacker, it usually takes more than one tool
    to clean it up. I found the above recipe does the job very well!

jakeslim

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think Ad aware is one of the best spyware products out there But if you use it you should update it evry time you use it. New spyware comes out all the time. You have to keep updated to catch it all and properly delete it. With out new updates ad aware can possibly delete the wrong files that the spyware may have been hidden in. Making some prograns not run right.
    I really dont like Norton because it seems to ignore spyware. I had it. Kept it updated. Was having problems with my comp running slow and a pop up I could not get rid of.
    went to http://www.trendmicro.comand did one of their free scans. It found 3 trogan horse and a back door virus (all spy ware programs) that Norton missed.
    I scan with trendmicro weekly and run adaware once or twice a week. Between that and my firewall I have 0 issues with spyware.

9. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think Ad aware is one of the best spyware products out there But if you use it you should update it evry time you use it. New spyware comes out all the time. You have to keep updated to catch it all and properly delete it. With out new updates ad aware can possibly delete the wrong files that the spyware may have been hidden in. Making some prograns not run right.
    I really dont like Norton because it seems to ignore spyware. I had it. Kept it updated. Was having problems with my comp running slow and a pop up I could not get rid of.
    went to http://www.trendmicro.comand did one of their free scans. It found 3 trogan horse and a back door virus (all spy ware programs) that Norton missed.
    I scan with trendmicro weekly and run adaware once or twice a week. Between that and my firewall I have 0 issues with spyware.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you letting someone access your computer(trendmicro) to scan it online......yikes. That is the most intrusive
    defense line. I seriously would recommend you use only programs that "live" on your harddrive and make sure their
    "communications" options(phone home) are set to OFF. These guys are in business also /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

AdAware is great, i don't disagree, but I assure you if you use the others in conjunction, you'll find more /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have an old P2 Gateway computer with no virus protection. All I have ever used on it is trendmicros on line scan. Never had a problem with it. Been using it for many years.
    On my new puter I dumped the Norton as soon as the contract expired and installed PC-cillin. I like it better than Norton. Its faster too.
    I dont think I could deal with running all those anti spyware prograns everyday. Once a week is enough