Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Norton?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 68MUDSTUD, Sep 3, 2006.

1. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

i just downloaded the latest norton antivirus, from their site, after i paid for it, and when the window pops up to register online or not to register, i click register and it just freezes... ctrl alt del, and it says the program is not responding! wtf!

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

3. 68MUDSTUD

ok i got it fixed.

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

The last time I had a puter Norton worked so well that after after I bought and installed the latest version I caught a nasty virus that uninstalled norton and turned my puter into Mossberg fodder.

5. 68MUDSTUD

ok so what version of that deal up there^^^ Did you get? and are you satisfied with it?

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I dunno I have only had a puter for a week or so after a few years of that mess.
    I'm not sure what version he installed, but it was FREE.
    He came over and hooked me up with a bunch of stuff. Got rid of IE and installed firefox and a bunch of other stuff I have no idea about.
    Prolly goes hand in hand with me helping him out with his 72 GMC and giving him and installing a HEI and a bunch of other stuff he don't understand.

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've been running the free Grisoft for about 6 monthes, it's awesome.... Takes up very little process power too...

Most people don't realize that these viruses are written with Norton and McAfee in mind because they are so huge..

8. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

The free grisoft ( AVG ) is awesome. I work in tech support. Every day I talk to customers who have norton. Norton blocks internert traffic and the email scanners block all the emails coming in. I love AVG, i never have those kinds of problems. I like AVG for antivirus, Spybot and adaware for spyware, Firefox for browsing, and thunderbird for email. I have no problems at all.

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I hate Norton. It is just a pay for it virus as far as I'm concerned. McAfee has always done me right, but they are starting to get too big for their britches as well. We use Trend Micro at work.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

virus "protection"??..its a pain!

I get Mcafee free with AOL--but it hogs so much memory,it makes my computer take at least 5 minutes to load all the programs,and be able to get online!---I think my upgrading to AOL's "9.0 LE" was a mistake--when I had the "6.0" version,it only took 2 minutes to get online,but then I had a paid version of Mcafee,that probably didn't use as much memory as AOL's "free" version..

I hope to be able to upgrade the memory in this computer soon--its very aggravating not to be able to listen to online radio or watch video's--of course I'll need to ditch my dial up connection also for that to work..

The only reason I switched to the "9.0 LE" AOL is due to the free virus protection--it came around about the same time my paid subscription to Mcafee ran out...I left the "6.0" AOL version intact--I'm wondering it I went back to it if my computer would run any faster--or perhaps deleting it would add more memory???...

I'd probably lose the Mcafee,but I hate it anyway--it starts "updating" without warning while online,and often slows it to a crawl,or freezes it up,and I have to "re-boot" all over again!..the guy I use for computer repair says he's going to install the "AVG" virus protection instead,when he upgrades the memory--but I cant afford to do it in the near future..will I gain anything by swapping the AOL programs??....:confused:

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Norton is a virus. Try removing it with normal methods.

12. Roland_Jenkins

Roland_Jenkins Registered Member

13. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I would bet it isn't McAfee that is giving you fits, it is AOL. I hate AOL with a passion. AOL assumes that the user is absolutely computer illiterate and tries to control everything for you and make things too easy. As a result, even the fastest computer comes to a crawl with AOL.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

your probably correct!..

I wouldn't doubt if it were AOL that causing all my problems!--I hate it with a passion too...if it were my house,I'd switch to Verizon or some other hi-speed provider..the computer isn't really mine,I just use it..

I'm getting very sick of having to wait 10 minutes to get online,then have it "freeze" when AOL's "welcome" page comes up,and have to kill the power,and start over..or have it lock up for no apparent reason--then after waiting for 10 minutes,an AOL "error" message comes up,saying "connection lost".---and having Mcafee "update"with no warning,slowing it to a crawl--then it says "must restart!"....I'm suprised I haven't flipped out and taken a sledge hammer to it yet!..:mad: