Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NOS questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtwarrior17, Sep 24, 2005.

1. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Well i need to put the jegs catalog down...

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3788&prmenbr=361

I'm seriously considering dropping one of these systems on the blazer as soon as my next 3 paychecks.

anybody run one of these? Is there anything you need not included in the kit? fuel pump etc?

What kind of life expectancy can i expect from my motor if i put this kit on? Does NOS kill a motor faster than N/A?

Originally i was gonna put Darts and a better cam on to get it up to 400 hp and 440 ft lbs but that cost about 2x's as much as this system.

with the NOS it'll be around 430 hp to 455 hp :D :cool: but the tq is what i'm worried about. I can afford a 14bff but the d60 is out of the picture for a few years.

I know the stock 2 bolt crank has been tested to 500 hp but has anyone broken a crank with less than 500 hp?

How much is it to fill up a 10 lb bottle?

2. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

How long the motor will last depends on a lot of factors.. Such as how the motor was built, how tight it is as far as clearances and don't forget to retard your timing :D Any time you put NOS on a motor I think it takes some life out of it but how much is hard to say but it will also depend on how much you use it..

I can tell you a buddy of mine is running a 150 shot on a stock big block Dodge RV motor in a full size Power Wagon and he is on his 3rd year with no problems at all but the fuel pump.. Now keep in mind this thing is only run at the mud hops but he is turning 44 inch tires and he dosen't cut it no slack :D I thought for sure he would blow it by now but he is had such good luck that next weekend he is going to shoot a 200 shot thru it :eek1: I have also seen motors that blew the 1st time the button was pushed but that is not the norm..

IMO I would rather go that way and have the power all the time and not just when I push a button.. Also by going that way it will make more torque down low when you need it most..

If you want torque then NOS is not the way to go..

Depends where you live and who you know.. My buddy with the Dodge I mentioned above works at a gas company and gets it for free :D

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, I know the brand name of the kit you're looking at is NOS, but for my own sanity's sake, please call it nitrous.

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

It's about $4 a pound to fill up. So a 10lb bottle will cost about $40.

If you're going to run N2O, make sure your fuel and ignition system is up to it. Start off small and work your way up to higher hp levels. You're also going to have to learn how to read plugs (if you haven't yet).

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Why on earth would you want to run nitrous? so you can have alot of hp? how often do you have that power? every push of the button right? so wheres the fun? go w/ the heads, intake etc. swap and benefit from it all the time. also nitrous might be cheaper at first but depending on how much you use that button it'll cost you more in the long run. Personally i believe nitrous has no place in any vechicle, period. There are so many other ways to build/ produce power (although they may be more expensive) THAT NO ONE SHOULD USE IT. save your money and build a good motor. get good hp/tq all the time, not just when you push a button.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Also this is a truck, what do you do w/ it. you realize the nitrous activates at wot right? i know you can byoass that though... unless your bogging its not something you would want to put in a trail, crawilng truck

7. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I remember you debating me in a thread a while back about engine longevity trying to say I didn't know what I was talking about....

AND THEN YOU ASK THIS QUESTION!!! :waytogo:

But since you asked.....

Your asking about catastrophic failures like breaking your crankshaft but if your really concerned with engine longevity you need to know that when you fire your nitrous system your putting a lot of extra stress on everything, bearings, piston rings, wrist pins etc, and they will wear out faster. If you need your engine to last then leave it alone.

A big problem with a nitrous system is that once you use it a few times and get used to the added power, youll want to keep adding more and more untill you do end up with that broken crankshaft scenario you mentioned.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

throw it in i think a 250 shot would work best for your new engine

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had an all cast 383 in my S10. I had barely $1500 in the motor all said and done. 640rwhp. It made 440hp without the bottle. I used a dual stage 250 shot on it.

I sprayed it like the Orkin Man and it lasted a long time. It never actually blew up, the girl I sold the truck to decided to play Ping Pong on the expressway.

If you know what you're doing and do proper maintenance nitrous won't get you in trouble as long as you don't go overkill. Usually the people that make fun of nitrous are the ones that don't understand it.

It only cost me about $25 to fill the bottle though.

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

NOS is easier to type than nitrous. :D I will refer to it as n02 to keep you out of the pshyc ward. :thumb:

Yes i realize its activated at WOT which is why i want it... mostly for mud, hills, and the occassianal red light, green light race with a ricer. :D

If i wanted to stick the throttle to the floor without n02 all i would have to do is turn the valve off correct? what about the extra fuel that comes on with the nitrous... is there i switch i can setup in the cab? (anybody know if a 10 lb bottle will fit in the center console?)

Rob,
    I have had a lot of stupid discussions with a lot of people on this site... i don't want to repeat every one.

I can understand the extra stress that is involved... more power = more stress on internals and drivetrain but 430 hp (100 shot) doesn't seem that unreasonable... the only thing i would be worried about is my cast aluminum pistons and the crankshaft if i ever get tempted to bump it up to 480 hp but even im not that stupid.

I'm happy with the 330hp and somewhere around 400 ft lbs it makin without the nitrous but i want to be able to drop the hammer and get out of mud, up the hill, or blow somebodys doors off on the street without stringin it out to 5000 rpm everytime.

the motor has all the hot rod bells and whistles... except forged crank and pistons. :doah:

gm x-rods, clevite bearings, etc

Is 200K miles out of the question with this motor?

mini man,

I stopped junking up your threads... stop junkin up mine.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  11. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

nitrous is bad for your motor period. you can only build it up to keep it from blowing. we are almost the same age, and at 18 it is going to be hard to go without a vehicle and pay for a new motor.

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

True...

I did get a free 84 accord from my aunt but its no blaze.

I'm leanin towards the N02 mostly because of price... it would get used probably every couple days and this thing isn't my dd anymore... 35's, aero dynamics of a brick, and injectors almost twice the size of stock doesn't look good on the gas bill. Not to mention the fact i have to run 91 until i get some bigger heads.

I guess what i want to know is how big of a risk is it? I know its not "good" for a motor but is it really that hard on it? seems like a 100 shot would be the same or less stress on parts than a supercharger.

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I think you ought to re-read the first sentence you typed, in the post you started this thread with, and do so. My honest impression (solely from what you've posted in this thread) is that you don't know enough about what you're doing to run N2O and have the motor survive.

But hey, it's your truck and your money... do what you wanna do.

14. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

With N2O you have to have everything setup perfectly for it to be used without ruining your motor right away, your fuel has to be on the rich side because the nitrous actually burns the gas faster which is how it makes your acceleration and HP number go up in theory.

if you dont richen it enough you have the possibility of burning a hole through your piston. previously said on this thread from another user your timing has to be retarded to a certain point. so... its not someting you should just throw on and expect it to work and last its more of an art form. If I were you i would be doing a lot of research there are many opinions out there but there are also facts. good luck on your decision you could build your own for really cheap using an approved fire extiguisher bottle look around on the net it tells you the correct way to do it and what specs

FACT: N2o isnt even flamable

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

all the hot rod bells an whistles, eh? with those be for '62 Camel Hump heads, and a hydraulic flat tappet cam, double rolller timing set, and god only knows what kind of bearings that thing has in it... i dont think you should be claiming "bells and whistles"....

heads can be greatly improved, as can the camshaft, the timing set (to a gear drive or a belt drive setup, and some bearings that will stand up to some kind of abuse, as opposed to the stock replacements it probably has in it now. GM x rods are nothing to write home about either.

200K out of an engine tuned and driven by a high school kid who has no idea what he's even thinking, much less doing is absolutely unheard of.

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

BTW, cast pistons and n2o i snothing but suicide. :screwy:

17. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

why do you think i started this thread?

I know more than you think...but i'm not suprised somebody said this... figured one of my "cheerleaders" would chime in and tell me i'm too inexperienced. The fact is that i do my homework so i can do it with my eyes closed because like you said "i don't know enough about what i'm doing." I am not gonna sit here and try to convince you or anybody else of my motor experience or knowledge because at the end of the day it doesn't matter what you "think" i know.

My fuel injection system is taylor made for this stuff... i can modify any part of the fuel map with the prominator. for example at WOT I can richen it way up but then burn another map for when the n02 is off. Keep in mind that most of the prominator burning will be on a dyno so I can monitor AFR and i can keep track of everything the computer is doing.

wuts up beater? ...i can't hear you...This message is hidden because beater_k20 is on your ignore list.

just give it up and stop posting in my threads... :mad: :angry1:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  18. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

FWIW
    N2O is nitrous oxide
    NO2 is nitrogen dioxide

I dont know that much about nitrous, but this is what ive heard in the past. Unless you have a built block (one of those special alloy racing blocks), do not put nitrous on a 2-bolt main if you want it to last. Granted this is for a higher horsepower application. I have hearfd of bad things happeneing to pistons if the timing gets too advanced. You might have to rebuild the engine, and taylor it around running nitrous.

If you want to run it, thats fine. A bunch of guys on the past Top Truck Challenges run it. I just wouldnt expect too much life out of an engine though. If you have the money and the means to replace it, go ahead. Just remember, the engine WILL go when you need it the most, like when you hit that little blue button going up a big hill, or crossing that long mud hole. Make sure you have someone to help you out.

Id rather get the power the old fashioned way, but thats just me...

19. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

IMO I would just save up for some quality gears. since its not your DD, you don't need top cruising speed. Drop in some 5.13's and you will have all the acceleration you can handle. You will still have a relaible motor. Get some Yukon's an have a professional install them..

just my .02 cents. :eek1:

20. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

You want 200,000 miles out of a motor on nitrous? :screwy:

Hell, most people are lucky to get that out of stock engines. Not to mention you're worried about gas. Hate to break it to you......power and gas mileage? They don't increase with each other.

This is just like the question, "Will putting 38's on my truck hurt my mileage?" YES!!!!!

You mention thinking a supercharger might be harder on a motor? Ummm...do you see any cars from the factory with Nitrous? I don't, but I sure do see lots of supercharged ones......

Build a motor meant for a supercharger and go that route. Besides, air is free...at least till Hitlery makes us pay for it.