Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NoSpin & dually axles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DieselDan, Jan 17, 2002.

1. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

OK, a friend has a brand new NoSpin locker he wants to sell. It was in his shop when he bought the place. The hand writing says GM '87 duallie. Assuming the duallie was a 14 bolt FF (did GM use anything else?) would it fit a regular 14bolt FF? My ancient GM parts manual shows different part numbers for the dually axle, but it "looks" the same.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Dually rear should be a Dana 70.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Assuming that it's truly brand new and never installed, look at the locker, if it's just the guts (looks like a Lock Right insert style) then it should fit a 14 bolt. If it is a complete assembly (diff body AND guts) then it should fit a Dana 70HD.

The dually would have had a 14 bolt in it if it was originally a cab chassis truck. Trucks originally sold as pick ups (w/ bed) would have a Dana 70HD.

FYI - (if it looks like it might have been installed) if the 2 halves of the diff body are held together by the ring gear bolts it's a 14 bolt locker. If the 2 halves of the diff body are bolted together on the side opposite of the ring gear it is a Dana 70HD.

80 K10 w/ 468 and 1 ton stuff
    I got chunks of guy's like you in my stool!www.nvrenuf.fws1.com

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Nope, it's the insert style (doesn't come with a carrier). And Yep, it's brand new; well - never used. Had about an inch of dust bunnys clinging to the factory grease.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

good score

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

6. BadDog

Looks like you have C14FF locker. Congrats. Although, the D70 locker would be worth more $$$. Seems like it is about $350 compared to $550 or so.

BTW, Dually generally refers to the dual wheel, pickup bed trucks. The chassis-cabs are different (as noted earlier) and are sometimes called "dual-wheel". They are referred to differently because of the difference in rear track width. Dually being D70 and several inches (axle width) wider than the C14FF chassis-cabs. Rear frame sections are quite different too IIRC.

Russ

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Wierd, the guy who ran the garage before he sold out just told me the locker was bought for a local customer who had a "duallie pick-up". (the customer totalled the truck before the install). The seems odd. Are all duallie pick-ups D70 or were some 14FF? The D70 definately uses a new carrier, right? Maybe they got the wrong locker the application.

8. BadDog

To my knowledge, all dually pickups in the 80s got a D70. I'm certainly no expert so I could be wrong. And yes, the D70 requires a different carrier to install a detroit locker or normal LS. Don't know about a NoSpin, but I guess it is the same.

Russ