Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not 4wd but it sure is fun to drive!

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by skratch, Apr 7, 2004.

1. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I needed a daily driver that got better mileage for my wife and myself. So after visiting a friend that owns his own towing company and seems to have way to many cars in his own name, I drove home in this 86 Fiero.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She looks rather ratty in these pics but Ihad just gotten it home, it's been sitting in his yard for several months and who knows how long before that. I cleaned it up a ton over the past couple days, changed the oil, PCV, airfilter, added a new head unit with matching lights, and now she's running better and feeling more like a reliable car. I have a few more things to do to it, like the sunroof gasket, new temp gauge, headlight motors, replace several sensors that are shot, new tranny filter. . . the list goes on just like any vehicle.

But it has worked out so far, my wife and I both were driving big GM V8's to work and school all by ourselves, so the gas bill was killing us. Now it's the insurance, 87 4wd Suburban, 94 G20 conversion, 83 Malibu (soon to be V8), and 86 Fiero SE! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    All that and I'm still outa work due to my injuries. Oh well at least I'm having fun! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. mogas

mogas 1/2 ton status

I had one with the 4 banger back in the day. Mine was a stickshift. I think the sixes were automatic only but I could be wrong. I'm sure it rips though. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Go pick up the current issue of hot rod. There is a junkyard jewel article about todays motors. A company called Design 1 Systems makes a kit to drop a northstar in there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I've seen kits for 3.4's, 3.8's, Cadillac 4.9's, Northstars, 350's . . .sweet idea and all, but I don't have the funds for something like that . . . yet. Maybe someday, but I'm not holding my breathe.

I think my 2.8 may need a rebuild but thats really no big deal except the car will be down while I have to do it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

one of the guys i went to school with had one. i couldn't even get in the damn thing. it was way tooo small /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Had a guy on my H.S. hockey team with one of those cars. His hockey bag sat shotgun. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Pretty nice DD ride. Post up what the MPG is once you put a tank or two through. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I'll do that.

I gotta fix the torque converter lock up then I'm sure the milage will get a bit better too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Fiero Update

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHH! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I've spent the past two days getting it all tuned up, cleaned up and running great for a car with 205K on it.

Well I got bored sitting around the house with all the little kids today (I watch them alone for about 8 hours everyday) and needed some me time. So after waxing the car and cleaning up where the clear coat is coming off, I jump in and hit the road. I got over to my buddies place and the motor starts making weird knocking sounds /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Nobody's home so I check the oil, OK, and head home, by the time I hit the freeway again it sounded like a go kart, and would stall at everylight showing no oil pressure.

It made it home under it's own power, actually showed no signs of running bad other than the noise and low oil pressure. But she was hot when I pulled in the parking lot here, and I know that it spun a bearing /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Now I'm looking at a new motor for this thing and the motors cost 2 to 3 times what I paid for the car in the first place /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Knowing me though I'll rebuild or replace this motor throw on a new exhaust bigger brakes new coils, struts . . . /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

It's a sickness you know!

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Fiero Update

BUMMER!

Sorry to hear that. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Just do what makes the most economic sense. You haven't had it too long, so there isn't much sentimental value yet to keep you from selling/junking it. Personally, I wouldn't stick 3 grand into an engine for a car I spent 1 grand on...I'd accept my losses and move on, rather than create more losses...but, that's just me. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Be careful & inspect the engine heat shield. My friend owned one of those in the early 90's and they recalled alot of the Fiero's. Apparently, some of them didn't have proper fitting heat shield around the engine and the would heat uo the fuel tank to the point of ignition.

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

should be able to pick up a camaro or firebird with 2.8L for cheap thats wrecked or bad tranny but runs good, 2.8L third gens are very common i might even have another such car with 2.8L engine in the near future if you need

that fiero looks nice not ratty, i see no reason why it needs to be gotten rid of., /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif and a grand is a huge loss, i wouldnt accept it, that would be crazy!

but if you decide to part/junk it then i need the headlight motors from it /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Well I didn't pay 1k for it, I paid less than that even!

But I think I scored a new block for less than 30 bucks locally for it.
    If not I'll get with you about one.

Right now it's looking like I'm gonna just rebuild an engine for it and keep it.
    I didn't expect it to be so much fun to drive.
    We're pretty sure it's a cam bearing that spung, it still runs just sounds like a woodpecker while it's at higher RPM's

I torn between fixing this motor and getting the Burb back on the road though /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Now THIS, was fun to drive /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[​IMG]

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Well I didn't pay 1k for it, I paid less than that even!

But I think I scored a new block for less than 30 bucks locally for it.
    If not I'll get with you about one.

Right now it's looking like I'm gonna just rebuild an engine for it and keep it.
    I didn't expect it to be so much fun to drive.
    We're pretty sure it's a cam bearing that spung, it still runs just sounds like a woodpecker while it's at higher RPM's

I torn between fixing this motor and getting the Burb back on the road though /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Heck, if you have to rebuild the motor, might as well build it up. I've seen 4 cly and 6 cly built pretty nice. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'm getting a performance rebuild for it; better cam, higher compression pistons. . . rebuilt heads with high flow valves.
    It should run a lot better when I'm through with it.
    I just got the new short block home a couple days ago, it's getting cleaned up right now so I can disassemble it and take it in to have the new cam bearings installed. Then I'll start building it. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    I'm looking at headers while it's out and maybe a full exhuast shortly after that, there is an intake I want for it, but it's pricey so that will wait but the rest of the motor will be built for it just waiting.