Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not a Chevy but a Ford!- Does this pickup sound reasonable?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

FORD 1991 F250 King Cab 8'bed diesel 160k $2500 16 miles away

2,900, FORD: 1991 F250 Diesel: 4WD, Xcab, Cap&liner,tow pkg, Auto, PW/L,121K mi, $2,900 244 miles away...

I am not familiar with the diesels- I had read somewhere that in 1991 is when they changed the diesel from the 6.9 to the 7.3.

wacha all think?

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

ahhh, thanks dude!

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

tHanks ramjet, I did a search and found the answer I was looking for... 94 and up it is!

Quote:

Well, you could have done well or got taken. There is a very big difference in the power plants if what you got is not a DI PSD. They made 3 different engines in 94 the PSD being the better of the 3. The "turbo diesel" engine dates back to, I believe, 1990. That's when Ford decided that they need to put a turbo on the old 7.3 IDI engine to try and compete with the Dodge turbo diesel trucks which were killing them in sales and performance. Unfortunately the IDI "turbo diesel" was still underpowered and the mileage was somewhere between awful and bad. It was essentially the same as a plain old 7.3 with a Banks or hypermax turbo on it and some tuning in the injector pump. It also had the same historic problems that all the IDI 6.9 and 7.3 engines had. The injection system was antiquated and unreliably prone to failure at regular intervals and expensive to repair. Also, if it's an IDI turbo diesel you can't "chip" it because it doesn't have a computer. About all you can do is have the injectors modified, put on a faster spooling turbo and tune the injector pump.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

IFS blows and both of those trucks are going to have it. If you're going to get a Ford, DEFINITELY get a 1 ton.

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

man those both sound like a pretty killer deal. Id go for the newest one even if it was the one with more miles.

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

fords TTB twin tract i beam front ifs is not that bad of a setup, ok go ahead and flame, but an ifs setup with 15" of travel stock is not too shabby, and its not exactly weak either..ive seen some take a brutal beating and keep coming back for more, and if its only gonna be a DD/tow rig, it wont hurt you at all...but you'd be better off with a DI PSD..

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    IFS blows and both of those trucks are going to have it. If you're going to get a Ford, DEFINITELY get a 1 ton.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading alot of your posts and keeping my mouth shut, I can't help but reply to this one.

You seem to have alot of opinions that you think are fact, with nothing factual to back them up. Why does IFS blow? Can you intelligently answer that question with something more than the typical "Cause it sucks. Solid axles are better."? If he's lookin at diesels, wouldn't it make sense that he's thinking tow rig? Handling and ride quality is for the most part, a big advantage of IFS systems. As far as I'm concerned, if I am gona spend alot of time and miles in a truck towing $hit, I want it to ride nice and handle good. Ground clearance/articulation issues? Not an issue on a tow rig. For a tow rig, IFS makes alot of sense. I would buy a Duramax truck with it's IFS over the PSD or Cummins just for the fact that it rides and handles better.

I know I'm walking the line once again with this post and my less than diplomatic way of getting my point accross.....but ignorance is one of my pet peeves. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    IFS blows and both of those trucks are going to have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

IFS does blow,thats why he is looking at Fords,not newer Chevys stupid /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    IFS blows and both of those trucks are going to have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

IFS does blow,thats why he is looking at Fords,not newer Chevys stupid /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Friz, you dick head. lol, Did you even read my post? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Also, if you are looking at a Ford... STAY AWAY FROM THE E4OD!!! It is Fords heavy duty automatic overdrive and you will be rebuilding them about every 1-2 years with any heavy towing. I just got done installing my second E4OD in a year (this one I rebuilt myself to save money).

13. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Did you post something bitch,I didnt notice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Did you post something bitch,I didnt notice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    HA! I fart in your general direction! [​IMG]

15. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

I say Nee to all u ppl with the IFS BLows bumper stickers Sure i want to do a SAS on to my truck but it aint happenin soon and i only want to do it cuz nobody around here has one and it would be the est thing around. I have been thinking of ways to improve IFS into a Dominating Design for offroad. Sure it would cost a lot of money and need a lot engineering but it looks pretty solid and would be good for rocks too. btw LOTS of engineering. But one day mabey it could be built.....

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

man man, folks, calm down. Let me tell ya this, my k5 has always been great offroad. But in terms of onroad, the ride isnt that smooth, it doesnt have the best handling, and I got dreaded bump steer. Im sure someone with more experience than me could probably make it ride like a caddy, and tow like Im in a crew cab dually, but I dont have that capability.

Why am I looking at those fords? They happened to show up on my diesel radar. In equal price range, all I could find was older 6.2 diesels. Not that their bad diesels, but not as powerful as the 6.5TD.

My view on the IFS GM vs a twin I beam? I'd take the GM IFS. Maybe its a personal issue, but I dont like a truck with constant changing contact patches. Solid axles certainly are durable, but the GM ifs's havent let many people down either.

Sure, IFS's dont have as much travel, are costly to lift, but Im not doing anything with this truck that would require that. So in my case, its really just a "bang" for the buck issue.

maybe i should look at a *dodge*.. eeeeeeep!

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You seem to have alot of opinions that you think are fact, with nothing factual to back them up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might think that I open mouth and insert foot, but if you realized that I simply made unintelligent choices of words instead of stating my reasons for what I said, you'd understand.

If you want FACT maybe I should snap a few pictures of the front tires of my friend Ryan's trucks the next time I'm over at his house. I hate TTB, both with leaves and with coils it's still trash. It eats tires like there's no tomorrow. I don't know why, it must be tough to get aligned correctly.

As to GM style SLA IFS or TTB, I'd take GM style IFS and it has NOTHING to do with brand loyalty.

As to me simply saying, "IFS blows, straight axles are better," that'd be completely stupid. My daily driver is both IFS and a Ford so obviously I don't have that opinion. I just personally think that TTB is total trash and maybe Ford agreed with me because they've switched to GM style torsion bar IFS on everything. TTB is no longer used, and I believe for a good reason.

My daily driver is a 2000 Ranger and as to ride quality, it's great. It rides better than any of my straight axle trucks and better than a Jeep.

I'd forgotten about his post and that's why I didn't reply sooner. I might have chosen the wrong words but I didn't talk out my ass. I am not the only person that thinks TTB is total trash and that GM style IFS is a better design. It's all a matter of opinion anyway. I had the choice one way or another, and I chose torsion bar IFS over TTB.

I personally prefer to see a leaf sprung straight axle under all of my rigs, but if the choice isn't there, I believe that SLA or torsion bar IFS or whatever you want to call it is a far better setup.

I suppose if I was going to choose such crappy wording, I should have said, "TTB blows, if you want a Ford 4wd, get a 1 ton." I never said anything about the Duramax trucks or new Chevys because I really never meant to talk down all IFS systems in general, just the tire eating thing of the past that Ford called twin traction beam.

18. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

what what? TTB? Tit Twisting Bra? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Sorry, I couldnt resist.

Thanks for the chime in from everyone. I found a 95 dodge in the same price range, but... I dont know if I can live with a 2wd. Their absolutely pathetic in the snow. Maybe not with dedicated snow tires, but I remember feeling quite pathetic trying to drive through slush with only RWDd.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Add some weight and it wouldn't be so bad, although a 4x4 with either a straight axle or REAL IFS would be much much better.