Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

not a k-5 but this is the best place i have found to answer any questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by speed_deed, Jun 24, 2001.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Although my question is not of a k-5 i have found there are some very smart mechanics on here so that is why i am asking here.
    i own a 1990 cadillac and it has run out of freon. I know that this system was born using r-12 but I was talking to heating and aircondtioner man the other day whom said he idnt see any reason that a guy couldnt just put in r-134. i dont know to much about air condtioning and that is why I am asking you guys. The reason I am wondering is because once again the cadillac has run out and i dont really have the cash to go out and buy 30lbs. and i dont want to spend the kind of money proplr want for 1lb. cans. anyway thsanks alot.

2. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

R-134 Uses A Different Type Of Oil . It Cannot Be Used With
    R-12 Without Causing Damage To The Compesor.{It Makes A Type Of Acid When Mixed} .You Will Need To Replace The Compresor And Drier And Flush The System To Use R-134. Maybe Some Hoses And Seals Too..If Its Empty It Leaks
    Someplace

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You shouldn't have any problem switching to R134. It will not hurt the compressor as long as the system is properly pumped out(evacuated). Have a air conditioning shop do this.
    Then just by the conversion kit which includes the fittings, o rings, r134 and compressor oil. Get the Kit which has a guage in it so you can properly fill the system.You should also change the drier. its the thing under the hood that looks like a beer can.
    The main thing to avoid when changing to 134 is not to over charge the system. that will take out your compressor real fast. If you dont have any air conditioning savvy.A shop should do the conversion for around 200.oo depending on parts needed.
    I'v been running 134 in my 89 blazer for 3 seasons now with no compressor problems. The only new part I put in was the drier.

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

R-134A is atomicly smaller than R-12, So it may leak and escape threw smaller holes. This is the same reson some of the conversion kits will include new O-rings, Fittings and some times hoses. I don't know about the compresor (although, they also have gaskets and O-rings, that may leak). Also the compresor oil is different to.

Best bet is to shop around, and check on some prices for the conversion. Do it right the first time, will save you money in the long run.

Twiztid

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

You could ask 'AZBLAZER', he knows all about this a/c stuff. He helped me out alot. He works on this stuff all the time.

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well here you have a few options... I have seen guys mix R-12 and 134a a couple of times with no problems, but I definetly wouldn't recomend it. The second option is flush out the system.... most shops will do it for a decent price and just add the oil and 134a.... you may not get as cold because as stated the 134 needs more room in the evap core, condenser, compressor, etc. The next ones is shell out the bucks and replace it all and do it right, which depending on your location might be the best bet. Where is it leaking? If you just have a schreder valve leak you could probaly just fix it and be done for a while. Now evap core or condeser leakes can get spendy and it maybe wise to find out aboutt conversion options. I'm sure down south these shops have to be popping up quite a bit. Not a real answer for ya but some ideas to bobble around in your head for ya

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

7. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

The best thing to do is find and fix the leak, and have it recharged with R-12. It will cool much better and you won't have to go and replace anything other than the leaking component or seal. I've done several conversions and they work OK, but unless you're replaceing the compressor anyways it's cheaper and more reliable(less leaks) to stick with R-12

8. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

If you look down the posts, there was a question about freon vs 134A. It had some good posts in it. I have been in the business a long time, and I would give the same answer as someone else did. Find the leak, fix it, and then spend aminimal amount of money and go ahead with R-12. This will save you allot of time and will not be nearly as expensive as switching every thing over. You will have to find the leak even if you are switching to 134A. There are other coolants out on the market that act as R-12, but are called an azeotrope which means a blend of other refrigerants to act like R-12. If you use one of these, check out the composition of it. If it has a high percentage fo R-22, it will eat your hoses, o-rings, etc. Anything that is not neoprene rubber. All the systems hold is 30-40 oz of R-12. Here it is selling for around $30.00 for 12 oz cans. Three of those and you are home free. Always put an oil charge in with a recharge. When the freon leaks out, so does the oil and allot of the seals in the compressor are wet seals and need extra oil to seal back up. Hope this helps!!

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!