Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not a K5 but you guys are the best!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CrazeeBush, May 24, 2000.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

OKay, my questions is this. I have a 89 s10 blazer and it failed emmisions horribly! Like double the allowed. It has a new motor and I imagine that it has to do with a faulty sensor and the computer compenstaing for it. Any ideas on what to check would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm stumped on this one.

2. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Check the codes stored in the computer it will tell you if there is anything wrong that it is connected too.You will have too check a manual but theres a plug like thing under and too the right of the column right under the dash.You can jumper certian pins too get the codes then check the codes.But like i said get a manual.

3. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

If the motor is brand new, the pistonrings/cyllinderwalls may not be worn in correctly yet. That takes a couple of miles. I know my wife's car took a litle time before the levels dropped.

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>

4. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

The last time that I went to have my Blazer inspected I told them that I was planning on putting in a new engine and they said that they won't test a "new" engine unless it has at least 500 miles on it. Make sure when you take it in the cat is hot and don't let it sit and idle because you build up emissions. My K5 passed Monday after 11 tries. Good luck!

Getsome

5. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry, I didn't mean it was BRAND NEW. It has like 10,000 on it. I'll try and pull the codes to see what it's got going on in there. Last time it went through emmisions it passed with flying colors... Argh!

6. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

first replace the oxygen senser ,How is it idling ?if the temp sensor in front of the Tbi isnt working it will run rich trying to warm up the engine ,what is your temp reading?this motor doesnt have an air pump right.also have the cat checked mine clogged really bad.

7. mrkay

mrkay Registered Member

I got excellent advise from this group on my high idle problems. You're in the right place.

My NOx was too high and it was caused by the EGR unit vacuum line being disconnected. I think you may have a vacuum controlled system too. Also, as stated by someone else, the hydrocarbons will go way up if you idle too long before going into the inspection station.

It took me three trys to pass Mass. inspection this year.

mrkay

Rock climbing on Plymouth Rock [​IMG]
    with my 88 Blazer 350/Auto/TBI