Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not a K5 question but a Chevy of course...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Apr 23, 2007.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Ok, so my dad has a 1953 Chev 1/2 ton that is pretty much all original. It runs pretty good for still running the original drivetrain but the brakes need bleeding. I need to clarify the procedure for this type of brakes set up (under floor mc).

So this is how I think it should be done...correct me if I'm wrong...

Make sure the mc reservoir is full and continue to do so throughout bleeding process.

Have someone depress brake pedal and then you crack the bleeder valve and watch for bubbles. Repeat this step until no air comes out. (Need a clear hose and a catch pail for this?)

Start at the pass rear, then driver rear, then pass front, then driver front correct?

Any other tips?

Thanks for all your time.

2. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

For bleeding, have someone pump the brakes, and then hold them, crack the bleeder, tighten it up, and repeat.

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you've got it. Make sure the vehicle is level, too. Sometimes starting by gravity bleeding can save a lot of frustration. Crack all the bleeders and keep the reservoir topped off as gravity does the work. It's not a fast process, but it works.