Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not a K5

Discussion in 'Southeast Region' started by nutsthename, Aug 26, 2006.

1. nutsthename

nutsthename 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I need some help with a problem on my daughters car. The traction control and antilock brake lights came on and won't go off. I'm thinking it may be a sensor, just don't know which one to look for. It's a 98 regal gs. I know it's not a K5 but there appear to be some purdy smart fellers in here, so I thought I'd give it a shot. :dunno:

2. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

Alot of those have an exciter ring around the inside of the front axle and it has a sensor that goes through the hub assembly.I have seen them get brake dust,and or metal residue built up on them and kick the light on. Might try cleaning the sensor with some brake cleaner.Her rear brakes might be wore out,some cars will set the light off when the brakes need serviced

3. nutsthename

This one does have the sensor in the bearing assy. Had to replace the right front bearing a couple of months ago. Thanks I'll try it and see what happens.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

It could be any of the sensors, or just about anything to do with the ABS or traction control. The wheel speed sensors are in the hubs and not serviceable. If it were a wheel speed sensor, it could have an open in the circuit and cause the trouble codes. You could check the continuity of the wheel speed sensors with an ohm meter. If my memory serves me right, the should have a resistance value around 1200 ohms. First thing would be to inspect all of the wiring in the wheel bearing area. Most common place for problems. Perhaps when the wheel hub was replaced the wiring was not secured properly.

But somebody with a scanner should be able to tell you exactly where the problem is.

5. nutsthename

When I replacedthe wheel bearing I tried to make sure the wiring was properly secured, but I did notice when I looked at it yesterday the wiring was hanging down at the connector. Thanks for the help.