Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

not a resto, help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BSav, Oct 2, 2003.

1. BSav

BSav Registered Member

I got a hold of my dads old plow truck it's a 78 GMC long bed pick up 3/4 ton with the camper special package. For what it has done it is in ok shape. I pulled off the inner front fenders and have started wire brushing the frame and axle, I'm not doing a frame off resto but i want to do things so they will last for a few yaers untill I finish up college and really have some money and time to tackle it. I would like to know what you would do in my situation. I was thinking wirebrushing it and painting it with rustolium with a brush. Should I put some rust converter on it, or order special paint like the kind from the Eastwood company called POR-15.
    I would like to know if I'm doing the right thing, sometimes it feels like I'm taking one step foward and two steps back.

Thanks for the help
    Brian Sav
    88Jimmy with chrome wheels (for speed)

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

POR-15 is a great product that I would recommend using. Just follow the directions on the package and it should help the truck last several more years /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I don't think I would use POR-15 on the body but definately on the frame. For what it's worth, I painted a Baja that I used to go beat up in the desert with spray paint. That way when I came back with all the scratches and what not I wasn't all butt hurt about it. Just grabbed the appropriate color can and fixed it. Just my .02 worth. Good luck to ya!

Allan