Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not a rifle...

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by mud390, Oct 20, 2004.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

But a pistol. I've been looking at picking up a pistol, probably in about 4 months or so. I looked at some Glock pistols the other day and was pretty impressed with the feel of them. After more research I narrowed down my selection to a Model 23 compact (.40). What do y'all think about this pistol and caliber? I would use it mostly for home defense (hopefully never having to use it) and range/target/fun shooting. Thanks in advance!

Kris

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I went and shot the glock and the Springfield XD and man, the xd feels so much better, I would recomend shooting both before you guy one or the other, pick wich one feels the best to you, once you get to the glock, springfield,sig,or HK the quality is pretty much the same, so i boils down to how it feels in your hand
    PS this is all opinion so please take it as such

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i used to own a Glock 22 (the fullsize .40) and it had a minor ka-Boom. Needless to say, I'm not a huge fan of the Glocks chambered in that caliber. That said, I later bought a Glock 17 (9mm) and loved it. Atleast until I got my H&K USP and realized that the Glock is sorta a budget semi-auto by comparison. Nuttin wrong with Glocks, I just wouldnt carry one since I got the H&K.

like the other guy said, just my opinion (other than the ka-boom part, which is factual info).

j

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I think the absolute best deal in handguns these days is a CZ75B. $400 new just about everywhere.

It's 9mm, which is acceptable for home defense if you use some decent hollow point, like gold dots. It's very cheap to target shoot with. And it's very underpriced for being such a quality gun.

http://www.cz-usa.com/product.detail.php?id=29

5. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

HK is about the most acurate gun in that $$ range. Nothin wrong with the Glock though, anything'll be fun to shoot.
    9mm is alot cheaper (and funner) to shoot but doesn't compare to the .40 regarding "stopping power". My fav is 44mag but then again a 357mag would be a better "all around" gun.

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sorry, can't stand Glocks. You can't shoot lead through them. If you reload you cannot over charge a load. Yes, that is correct...your Glock will blow up and your hand will be gone too!!!! Now in a Ruger or other decent firearm the gun won't blow up in your hand!!

You expect PLASTIC to do a good job? Look at the history of firearms....do you see PLASTIC?

I prefer the Ruger line, I own a P89DC and others when the money starts rolling in.

Someone acquired some "reloads" and they were a bit on the low side, so they said. They had tried using their Glock....wouldn't function. I wasn'ta bit worried if they were full hot loads over the max!! Picked up the Ruger and it ate every bit of ammo. The stuff was so light they felt like 22s!! I can put any kind of ammo in that thing and it will function.

Another thing I do not like about Glocks is the way you take it apart. You HAVE TO PULL THE TRIGGER!! How many people think that when they pull the mag out its unloaded? Lots of dumbasses do!! How many "accidents" have happened with police and Glocks?

Also, if you are empty and the BG is still coming at you...you want to hit him with PLASTIC...or a big chunk of steel?!?

7. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alot of people have opinons of course but i look at what profesionals carry, FBI HRT carry 1911's, LAPD SWAT carry 1911 and of course the military did from 1911-1985 only changing because we had to conform to NATOs 9mm. This is the most time tested combet firearm in the world, and for home defense is better than a 9mm due to it being bigger and slower your chance of over penetrating is reduced, very important if you shoot at someone standing in front of your kids room, you want the round to stop as soon as it hits something. That being said i have two recommendations, the first being a Kimber i have two of them and they awesome, second would be a Para Ordance.

8. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Sig.

Well, since nobody has mentioned it, I will.

First, I prefer .357 and up. 9mm just doesn't have good take down power.

That said, What about a SIG? I love my P220 (.45) and it weighs almost the same as my brother's Glock 22. Mind you that the Glock is plastic and the Sig is metal.

New Sig's are a bit on the pricey side, but you can get a used law enforcement Sig (P239 usually) that's been reconditioned by Sig-arms for a decent price.

And check out the .357-sig round. It's awesome. My brother actually messed up his hand with it when he got a .357-sig barrel for his Glock 22 and kept the stock spring. The .357-sig had so much more power that the Glock spring couldn't do it's job. Pretty Wicked.

Definetly go out and shoot several different guns, though! It's the only way you'll ever be able to make a good choice. You don't want a gun that's uncomfortable!

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

CZ also makes a 45 ACP. It is a Very sweet gun. I dont know what you are paying for the GLOCK but if its around $500. I would opt for the CZ 45 ACP. For a little over $ 500 its a much better gun.

10. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

personal opinions are personal opinions. Glocks are fine for what they are. semi cheap but super easy to take apart, clean and fairly accurate. H&K, albiet more $$, is inherently more accurate. 9mm vs .40 vs. 10mm. vs .45? what do you want, cheap to shoot or "stopping" power? If I shot u w/a .45 would that be better than a 9mm? Dead is Dead. My personal opinion? I shoot a .44 Mag Super Redhawk because I have a matching caliber rifle & it fits me, plus Dirty Harry is my hero.:D
    O yea, just get what u can afford and that fits your grip.

11. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

I've shot the glock in 10 mm and .40 and to be honest I liked them more than I thought I would. Not real big into plastic guns but the two people I know that have glocks like them.:D I use a ruger sp101 in 357 for the home protection but could shoot my 9mm all day and I don't think a burgler would argue much with a hot 115 hp from that.:wink1:

12. eric22

eric22 1/2 ton status

i have a glock 21, its a fullsize .45, i love it!, of course i wanted a usp but i didnt have that kind of money :blush: , i like it because of its size, simplicity, and durability.

13. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

10-4!

I don't know how much ammo you guys actually shoot... :whistle:

I for one have put thousands of rounds through my G21 in IDPA practice shoots and Tactical Handgun classes. I love it. Sits low in your hand, points well, no malfunctions. I'm getting a G30 next.

Or maybe you guy's were refering to using a handgun only when your in the hills and you blast off a magazine into the hillside?:D

14. eric22

eric22 1/2 ton status

being the lazy ass i am, i didnt clean it for a while, even after putting 1500+ rounds through it, it never jammed, not once

15. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

A couple of people have mentioned a 44 mag. I have a Taurus 44 mag that I deer hunt with. I have taken quite a number of deer with it, but I have to say it is not a great defense gun. I am actually looking to buy a defense gun and I will probably go with a 357 mag. I would not recommend a 44 mag for defense or just for fun. It is just too big and it is expensive to shoot. Just my opinion.

16. DieselSub

DieselSub Registered Member

How about a shotgun?

If your primary purpose is self defense in your home, then a shotgun can't be beat. A longer gun (rifle/shotgun) is also much easier to instinctively aim than a pistol.

I'm interested in hearing your reasons for wanting a pistol over a rifle - then I can give you a better answer.

If you must have a pistol then consider .40/357 as the lower end and .45 as the upper end. Lower than .40 (such as 9mm) just doesn't have good stopping power, and bigger calibers (44mag) will over-penetrate, are hard to control for follow up shots, are uncomfortable to shoot which minimizes the chances you'll actually practice, and are also more expensive which again discourages practice. Did I say practice? That's probably one of the most important aspects of owning a gun, second only to having it safely locked up when you're not around.;)

As far as picking pistols, I've had a Glock 23 for years and it has served me well. Friends have put 20,000+ rounds through theirs with virtually no problems. They are also easier to train on with no explicit safety to flip.

The old 1911 .45 has made a great comeback. A few years back 99% of the people taking combat pistol courses were using Glocks. And I'm not talking about wanna-be like Dirty Hairy civilians, these were local and federal law enforcement, DOE, etc. Now the courses have a heavy dose of .45s. Like they say, .45 is a fight stopper.

Yes, pistols are cool, but when something goes bump in the night you'll want a 12 gauge.

17. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

agree 100%. for defense a shotgun can't be beat. close range with a 12 ga. buckshot......do we really need to discuss stopping power?

18. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

The 1911 .45ACP is the most time-tested, battle-proven auto pistol design out there. Big heavy round, simple operation, easy to maintain, and there are over a hundred variations out there. EVERYBODY (except Glock) has used one or more 1911 features on their weapons. They price from low at $500.oo or so, all the way to a full race tactical job at $2500.00. That's the one, baby!