Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not a truck, but still a chevy. Question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dogdaysunrise, Jan 30, 2006.

1. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I have a 94 Buick Century with a sfi 3100. It seems to run o.k. but there is a recurring problem where all the warning lights will come on, the dash lights get really bright and the headlights get really bright. When it happens the motor runs really funny.

I was thinking maybe the battery is screwed and pumping out too much juice? Possibly causing the ecm to do screwy things to the fuel system and transmission? as well as causing the lights to get so bright?

I havent pulled any codes from it yet, I will do so probably on wed. see if it has anything stored.

Besides the codes does anyone have any input as to possible problems and potential solutions?

2. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

it maybe ur alternater

3. jaredmajor

jaredmajor Registered Member

Regulator?

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

could be..

Sounds like a bad ground to me..it could be the alternator's voltage regulator kicking in and out as suggested...I've had a few caddy's with similar weird electrical gremlins even a dealer failed to fix,and I cured them by adding a new "extra" ground wire from the alternator case to the negative battery post....

not sure why ALL your warning lights come on,though maybe a breif power surge or interruption could do that I suppose..I'd start by cleaning the battery cables and terminals,especially if it has stock side post cables..one cable might also be gangrene and down to only a few strands too..its about the right age for original ones to be junk..look for any damaged wires from the alternator to battery and the fusible links too..might have a shorted wire touching intermittently..:crazy:

5. darenofears

darenofears Registered Member

I second the alternator ground
    did it on an f250 awhile back

6. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

okay here is the update.

When the problem is happening im actually getting 17.6v on the battery. Thus I concluded it is the voltage regulator screwing up. Im gonna pick up a new alternator sometime this week.