Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not a truck related audio question....

Discussion in 'Audio' started by heavy4x4, Jan 19, 2004.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Anybody know how I would go about hooking some home audio speakers up to a computer. I'd like to hook some up to my computer (I have speakers, but would like a power boost when I want). Ideally I'd have them switched so I could still use my regular speakers, but seeing as how I have no idea how I would go about hooking anything up, I need some help/suggestions. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, the idea that went through my head (Yeah, scarry, I know) would be to get a plug same size as your computer speakers use, wire, and run it to the back of your home stereo. If you don't have one, ebay is a good place to get one. I would recomend a Vector Research becouse it's older, so usely under $100.00 and high quality.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If I'm not mistaken you would need some sort of amp to power the bigger speakers like a home reciever or something. Maybe you have some sort of output from your computer that would plug into the reciever (like an RCA from a stereo deck to an amp). Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about though because I don't know a lot about kompooters. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Anybody know how I would go about hooking some home audio speakers up to a computer. I'd like to hook some up to my computer (I have speakers, but would like a power boost when I want). Ideally I'd have them switched so I could still use my regular speakers, but seeing as how I have no idea how I would go about hooking anything up, I need some help/suggestions. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A typical sound card won't have the "ooommmph" to drive a large set of speakers without some help.

What you'll want to do is find a "Line Out" jack on the soundcard, (usually an 1/8-mini stereo plug) and run that to dual RCA input-style inputs on a normal stereo receiver or integrated amp. From there, you can run the BIG speakers.....

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Ahh, that makes sense. So I'd have to buy a receiver to go along with a set of speakers. Bummer, that jumps up the price a little. I'll keep looking into the idea, and if I end up doing it I'll for sure tell everyone how I did it.

Thanks everyone!

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

A typical sound card won't have the "ooommmph" to drive a large set of speakers without some help.

What you'll want to do is find a "Line Out" jack on the soundcard, (usually an 1/8-mini stereo plug) and run that to dual RCA input-style inputs on a normal stereo receiver or integrated amp. From there, you can run the BIG speakers.....

[/ QUOTE ] Greg has the same idea...Hey I wasn't wrong for once. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif