Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not a web wheeler anymore!!!!! Gilbert ORV Pics 10/22-23/05

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Oct 25, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I finally got my junk out on the trails folks. I went to Gilbert ORV in northern Minnesota with a couple of guys I met on a Minnesota Jeep (yeah yeah) forum.

Everything worked well save for a little carnage and minor malfunctions. My hydro assist was leaking pretty good by the end of the weekend, one of my body mounts pulled through and caused the fan and the fan shroud to tear each other apart when the right front corner was at max. droop, I creased both doors, lost the glass on my driver's side mirror, creased the passenger side bedside, ripped off my muffler....I think that's it. :D

My build plans for the rig have also changed because of this trip. It had plenty of flex to keep up with a very flexy TJ so the 52 swap is out. I am however going to bring the rear down two inches and get some better riding springs in front. Also, my breakover angle had me worried the entire weekend so that's gonna get worked on as well as a beefy front diff. cover because I pushed it into a few rocks and had I been a little bit crazier with the throttle I def. would have punctured mine.

Also, I'd like to thank (most) of the people that contributed to this build:
    Kert at DIY4X (Kert, take a look at this thread and let me know what you think.)
    Stephen Watson and the whole crew at ORD
    Black Mesa Offroad
    Brian Filtingberger (Muddog)
    Brian Wise (Bozowise)
    Gabe (Bowtie)

And last but not least, every other CK5 member who has given me advice at some point in the build. Without this site I'd be lost. Ok Ok, you don't care you just wanna see pictures well here ya go:

Me getting screwed up on Lone Pine, biffing the line, and getting jammed up:
    [​IMG]

Posing in Gumby's Rocks, I discovered from the picture that my muffler was gone at or before this point in time, I'm pretty sure Tabletop took it but we combed the park on Sunday and never found it:
    [​IMG]

Just posing at a midway point in the gorge, all the H2 owners were going nuts:
    [​IMG]

One of the H2 guys asked me to stop and pose in the gorge, Mike took advantage of the photo op. :haha:
    [​IMG]

Forget which trail this was, not too challenging but pretty tight in some spots
    [​IMG]

We found a small play area and I decided to come at this from the back side. I'm getting out because I jammed the left rear rim into a rock and the only way out is throttle:
    [​IMG]

Coming over the top:
    [​IMG]

Scenery shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The aftermath:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are a few other pics from the weekend in my photobucket album. It was a blast and I hope to do it again in spring sometime.

Once again, thanks to Steve Fox, and all the CK5 members for helping me along with this build.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Looks like a blast! Those are some massive slabs of rock!!

How did those Boggers like them?

3. mikey_d05

The boggers actually worked awesome in that rock. It has a ton of sharp corners and ledges so the lugs pulled right up it. The smoother stuff on Sunday was a bit of a challenge since I didn't air down (don't ask) so a little throttle was required but nothing drastic. With a little less pressure I'm sure they'll do better all around but fared very well as it was.

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ill keep sayin it, i love your truck! haha sweet pics looks like ya finally got to enjoy that thing :bow:

so u have matchin door dents now? awesome! keep it nice and symetrical :haha: im sure u did that on purpose

5. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

nice pics. i lost my driver side mirror last night on my way home from getting a 2wd steering box to do crossover. i sent you an e-mail by the way...

edit. nevermind the email...i found the pics i was after.

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I almost think the Iron Range ohv is better than Disney....totally awesome place to wheel. It puts RORP and attica to shame.

7. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Lookin good bud. But I gotta know why no air down :rolleyes: Heck that is the only way I can get my thornturds to move the k5 is at about 10psi. Any more then that and they just spin :crazy:

No winchin this trip? I was hoping you would get a chance to use it since that mount was such a pain to get done.

Wish I had somewhere even close to that to play on. What are those green things? is that what they call trees, none of those here in the desert.

8. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Looking good man!

2 questions for you:

1) Are you planning on narrowing the front?
    2) Why a F*rd tow rig? :haha: :D

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Glad you liked the rocks :D

10. mikey_d05

Not airing down....

Short version: I'm an idiot.

Long version: I forgot my valve core tool at home and wasn't about to sit there for two hours in the morning to air down. One of the guys I went with had a fancy tool from Currie but it didn't like my valve stems so it wouldn't work. Another guy I went with had those Oasis trailhead bleeder things but he was a prick so I didn't dare ask to borrow them.

The winch was only out once, but it was a lifesaver. The entrance to a trail called 1% is a steep slippery climb where you have to go up, get your front tires over the ledge so you don't slide backwards, and then work the truck to the right because the trail is 90 degrees to the right once you get to the top but there isn't a spot to turn once you get up the hill. The guy in front of me couldn't get the tires over and went balls out, he ended up sliding sideways and almost rolling. We hooked him up and got him over but what few rocks there were on the hillside to climb up he knocked down. I made three attempts and on the final one I went balls out, got sideways and came to rest against a tree (thank god or I would have tumbled down the hill) I spooled out and Mike hooked me up and I got over the top. I'm gonna invest in some bigger power cables and possibly a new motor though. Even though the angle sucked (the only winch anchor was sorta pulling you down into the hillside and I still needed to make it over the crest) I think it should have had more power than that. The guy in front of me was running a TJ and a Warn 9500 and made much shorter work of it. Also...anyone else hate how hard it is to engage and disengage the freespool on an 8274?

Mike...I'm thinking of narrowing the front but my body is so incredibly rusty that after this weekend it was pretty much coming apart at the seams. I don't know how much more work I want to put into this truck that I can't take with me if I go to a different chassis or body.

As for the Ford tow rig...it's my dad's. Dodge didn't have a true crew cab at the time and we traded our '00 1/2 ton GMC for it and we both despised the way that truck towed in terms of handling. I'm sure they've gotten much better since ours was built but the balance between the leaf sprung rear and IFS front sucked when you put any sort of tongue weight on it. Oh yeah...and this was all before the fact that the 6.0 is one of the worst motors known to man kind was publicly known. :D

85...the rocks were a blast man, I'm gonna get some beadlocks soon, groove the boggers, and get to work on flattening out the underside of the truck. An SYE, a different mounting setup (probably an x-member from Scoobydann), and a new exhaust are probably going to be my next mods now. It was plenty flexy for the terrain this weekend so I think I'm gonna leave the spring setup as it sits. I'm gonna take out the add a leaf for sure and maybe swap in some TC or BDS springs in place of the pro-comp ones but that's it. The wheelbase is nice for climbing but still pretty long for going through the woods so I think that will probably remain unchanged for now as well.

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You can use a key, small bolt, stick, etc... to push down on the valve core and it only takes a couple minutes per tire.......... :whistle:

12. mikey_d05

Just thought I'd throw up a few more pictures as long as I'm trying to avoid my homework.

A massive trar we saw...actually worked pretty well for what it was.
    [​IMG]

A tube buggy on Money Talks, air shocks, steering rocks front and rear, double beadlocks all around, too bad the guy didn't know how to drive. He sure did like doing front burns though.
    [​IMG]

Another shot of me at Stonehenge (the previously mentioned play area)
    [​IMG]

The line I ended up taking across lone pine with Mike's TJ sitting in the background. (The much harder than it looks rule comes into play here)
    [​IMG]

Justin's poser shot. Open YJ on 33 MT/R's. Very nice and capable little rig but couldn't really hang with Mike and I. He's got some pretty big plans for it though.
    [​IMG]

13. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Awsome pics man! Love the truck and it looks like it worked pretty well too. One of my buddies went out there for a jeep jamborie and said it was a really good time, we were supposed to make a trip up there this summer but i never got any of my rigs ready in time :doah: .

14. mikey_d05

Bismarck huh? If you're home from school next summer and want to make a trip up there look me up. I'm trying to land an internship that will allow me a lot of wheeling time next summer.

15. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

OK, I have to know this...Was all of your passenger side damage from the huge gatekeeper rock half way through 1%? I have crusher corners on my jeep and if I wouldn't have had them it would have done some damage.

Also did you you do lower money talks? Any problems with the 1st rock garden? I could not make it and had to bypass.

Me and my wheeling buddies are planning a trip in the spring and I should have my FS rig done by then so the jeep will stay at home.

16. mikey_d05

LOL, the passenger bedside damage did indeed come from the rock halfway through 1%. It was wet when we tried it and I had about an inch of clearance but I slid straight into it when I tried to manuver and line up for the next rock. Mike was ahead of me in his TJ and managed to just take a little paint off his fender flare but he runs selectable lockers. It kinda sucks though, the trail is mowed down along the right side so if you can make it up the hill you can make it through the trail....I think they should rename it 80%.

I did LMT but nobody got any pictures. The first garden was rough. I bashed quite a few things in there but made it. That's one of the main reasons I want to smooth out the underside. Tabletop kicked my butt...and I'm pretty sure it claimed my muffler.

If you're looking for another fullsize rig on your spring run and I have my junk back together by then let me know, I'm looking at heading up there sometime in spring anyways.

17. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Here's the picture a Hummer owner took after getting to a safe distance, his wife looks impressed.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  18. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

its about time :p: The ole blaze looks good man, looks like a sweet place to go :D But im still pissed because i dont see any pictures of it on its roof :mad:

19. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Looks fun. :D I wish the ORV park here near Spokane had some obstacles like there.

20. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Thats looks like so much fun! I may just decide to become a rock/trail guy.... I know I'm about to get flamed, but that trar is sweet ;)