Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NOT AGAIN!!!!! U-Joint broke-TRANSFER CASE PROBLEM???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 81jimmyslt, Dec 26, 2003.

1. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

I was driving home today from snowboarding and my rear driveshaft broke off the u-joint a little carnage. I figured I would fix it and pound a new joint in there.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif???? When I pulled the driveshaft out my gear fluid from my transfer case drained out????? Never had this happen...does this mean my transfer case is messed up too?

Please help any advice suggestions answers would be great.

81' 350/350/208 10 and 12 bolt axles, my driveline angle is messed up but I was hoping my transfer case is OK /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

dude in my opion Your plaaying with a ticking bomb if ya dont get your drive line angle fixed your gonna probably keep breaking ujoints and next time it might not be at such a convienent time ( you Board so u know all the Bad things on the road
    "black ice " etc etc

but anyways i would think your t case is ok its fairly normal to get some tranny flud to come out when ya pull the drive shaft out
    good luck
    and by the way hows the snow and were did ya go ??
    R

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

It is a side effect of having a stock 208. The slip yoke seals out junk and fluid in. If you pull the yoke (like when replacing u-joints) it will drail a little sometimes a lot if you are pointed up hill or none if you are pointed downhill. AZ drivelines has a SYE kit. I don't know about it personally but have heard it is of a poor design. Do a search if you are interested.

4. 81jimmyslt

Thanks for the quick replies...and about the ticking time bomb I think it's time to join the 1 ton club and fix my axle gears from there pathetic 2.77 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif hopefully I can find a dana 60/14 bolt combo with 4.11 0r 4.56

SO you guys think my transfer case is OK???
    ....... until I trash it and buy a NP-205 or a doubler..

Thanks

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

your just lucky that the drive shaft didnt catch something and catapult your rear end. Im guessing it broke at the pumpkin end of business?

Its weird for people to break u-joints, unless your angles are SEVERELY messed up (and I mean like +- 8 degrees), or if they just got too much HP. a stock carb'ed 350 with a turbo350 shouldnt *normally* do that.

6. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Its weird for people to break u-joints, unless your angles are SEVERELY messed up (and I mean like +- 8 degrees), or if they just got too much HP. a stock carb'ed 350 with a turbo350 shouldnt *normally* do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

As for the u-joints, I don't know how weird that is, I have 4" lift and before I shimmed it, I trashed u-joints regularly when wheelin.!

Just the other day, I put in a new t-case adapter and tons of fluid came out. Answer was seals were out and tranny fluid drained into t-case.(NP205) Not familiar with 208s though.

7. 81jimmyslt

Yes my angle is extremely messed up and the u-joint next to the pumpkin was destroyed

each time I have gotten lucky and the rear yoke survives but the rear flange on my driveshaft gets mangled.

Is it easy to replace the seals in NP208 what is involved?????

Thanks again guys /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Not difficult to change the seal. Just pry the old one and out and tap the new one in. Try to use something to pound it in straight. Peice of tubing the right size or something like that.

9. 81jimmyslt

10. 81jimmyslt

Well I needed to get it back on the road, luckily the shaft was still usable and I managed to get the everything fixed and back on the road. Which comes to my next question /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

How do I measure my driveline angle and figure out what degree shims I need?

I need to fix my angle before I lose my shaft on the road or trail again. Oh ya I went to Sierra at Tahoe, and Kirkweed, the snow is great light and fluffy plenty of it and more storms on the way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif