Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not Firing....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, May 13, 2002.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Here's the scoop, 85 K5...Symptoms : Cranking big time, doesn't sound like it's firing...
    This happened me last year, and thru this site, with everybodys hekp, I traced it to the ECM...
    Now, here's this years problem....
    Go to start it as normaal, turns over (craanking) fine, but isn't firing.....
    Batt volts are hovering aroun 10 V.....Hmmm, I thought, and jumped it with my wifed 96 Concorde......
    The pos (*_ terminal on my battery started to smoke, but why I thought?// I got that Battery in September..... Anyway... Btt V 10V.....I bought a can of 'starting fluid', sprayed it in, and it started and runs sweet...ALL DAY....I know, that tomorrow morning it's touch snd go as to if, or if not it'll start...It can't be the ECM again???? That was my first thought...next battery, but, my point is, if it was the ECM, OR battery, why should starting fluid sprayed in the carb work?????
    Anybody any comments?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

10V is too low. You should have at a minimum 12v when off. Could very well be why its not firing well enough to start.

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Maybe a bad cell in the battery ( if it has a green light it can still have a bad cell) have the battery load tested....mike

4. gpd4

gpd4 Registered Member

Mine does that every now and then. Check your choke pull-off. Open the plate in the carb (stick a pencil in it) and then try to start it.

Always works for me...